Act FRESH is a statewide coalition, led by the Massachusetts Public Health Association (MPHA), working for healthier, more vibrant communities for everyone in Massachusetts.
What does Act FRESH do?
We work to improve statewide policies and systems that make it easy and affordable for everyone to eat a healthy diet and be physically active, every day. Every two years coalition members create its policy agenda for the upcoming Massachusetts legislative session and commit to advocating for those priorities.
Act FRESH 2015-2016 Priorities:
- Implement and fund the Massachusetts Food Trust, a healthy food financing initiative signed into law in 2014 to reduce the number of food deserts in the Commonwealth
- Protect state funding for the Mass in Motion program
- Implement and fund the Complete Streets Funding Program
- Pass shared/joint-use legislation that promotes physical activity at school facilities during non-school hours
Act FRESH’s additional priorities:
- Establish a statewide Healthy Incentives Program (HIP) to provide premium benefits to SNAP beneficiaries when purchasing fruits and vegetables
- Support adequate funding for public transit, walking, and biking
- To protect access to SNAP benefits
- To pass legislation for comprehensive zoning reform that advances healthy community design