Title: Covid Community Impact Study (CCIS) Epidemiologist
Organization: Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Summary of Position
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Office of Statistics and Evaluation (OSE), seeks an experienced Epidemiologist able to apply a racial equity lens to support analytic and evaluation efforts for the COVID-19 Community Impact Survey (CCIS). This vital position works closely with the CCIS team conducting data analysis, interpretation, and reporting. Key elements of this position include:
- Performing population and domain-specific analyses to identify key health disparities and understand root causes.
- Highlighting and communicating key disparities to help mitigate disproportionate impacts of the pandemic in vulnerable populations.
- Preparing presentations for diverse audiences and supporting data visualization efforts such as data dashboards and mapping.
- Partnering and coordinating with community partners and collaborating with other epidemiologists within the Bureau of Community Health and Prevention to support community-based initiatives, including the Root Cause Solutions Exchange, Moving Massachusetts Upstream, and Mass in Motion.
- Analyze, present, and contextualize data highlighting COVID-related health inequities to inform health equity approaches to programming and educate and inform key stakeholders, including the public, on these issues.
- Support the development, planning, and implementation of future iterations of the CCIS and other related community surveys.
- Enhance and refine data collection instruments such as questionnaires and surveys.
- Conduct literature reviews to contribute to evidence-based decision-making, partnering with internal and community stakeholders.
- Support other programs and initiatives in utilizing CCIS and other social determinants of health data to support key findings and recommendations.
- Develop communication strategies including materials factsheets, reports, and presentations.
- Provide input on development of health equity dashboards.
- Participate in Division, Bureau, OSE, and Department related health equity and racial equity trainings, workgroups, and activities.
- Perform computer-based data analysis using SAS, Excel, and other analytic software.
- Lead with racial equity by implementing a racial equity framework for all duties and responsibilities, understanding root causes of health inequities
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of epidemiology including research methods and techniques followed and health services and/or social science research.
- General concepts and methods of statistical report writing.
- Understanding of basic mathematics and of statistical principles and procedures, including both descriptive and inferential statistics.
- Familiarity with the terminology, data cleaning procedures, coding procedures, and abbreviations used in electronic data processing.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the types, concepts, techniques, and applications of electronic data processing, particularly as it pertains to epidemiology.
- Ability to analyze and determine the applicability of epidemiologic data to draw conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
- Knowledge of equity, and how it impacts access to resources and health.
- Experience with mapping software (ArcGIS), data visualization principles and software (Tableau).
- Ability to work both in a multidisciplinary team setting and independently.
- Experience with data management (analysis, data sets, claims, medical records), research methods, statistical report writing, managing, and analyzing qualitative and quantitative data. (SAS experience preferred).
- Skilled in producing data briefs and factsheets, technical reports, or peer-reviewed journal articles. Experience with data visualization.
- Solid written and oral communication skills with proficiency establishing and maintaining harmonious working relationships with others.
- Detail-oriented and highly organized, with strong ability to successfully multi-task.
- Proficient usage of Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Teams and Outlook; Experience programming in SAS.
To Apply: To see the complete job posting and to apply, click here.