Title: Child and Youth Violence Prevention Epidemiologist
Organization: Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Summary of Position
The Epidemiologist will coordinate and oversee all evaluation, surveillance, research, and data analysis support for the Child and Youth Violence Prevention Unit (CYVPU), as well as support the unit and division directors by providing data to inform strategic planning, coordinated communication, information dissemination, and cross-departmental initiatives related to youth violence data. To serve in this capacity, this epidemiologist must be able to address three foundation goals of the CYVPU;
- Provide youth violence data that is relevant, and affords timely access to data for DPH, researchers, press and the general public in an effective manner in order to target disparities and impact outcomes;
- Track and quantify metrics related to the intersection of youth violence and upstream social determinants of health, which contribute to health inequities; and
- Identify youth violence health disparities in an effort to consistently recognize and eliminate inequities experienced by populations in Massachusetts, wherever they may exist.
The Epidemiologist will be essential in collecting and analyzing evaluation and surveillance data to help measure the impact of funded programs on statewide youth violence goals and provide continuous quality improvement to enhance the public health practices of the CYVPU. The Epidemiologist will also be responsible for analyzing data from multiple sources, coordinating with Bureau and Office leadership, reviewing technical documents, supervising evaluation contractors, participating in strategic planning processes, developing analytic plans, developing and deploying data collection tools, coordinating responses to data and public records requests, and supervising other youth violence epidemiologists. This person will also be responsible for meeting and collaborating with staff from other divisions/bureaus as well as external stakeholders in order to support divisional and office needs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute to creation and deployment of CYVPU evaluation plans, logic models, performance metrics, work plan templates, data collection tools and systems for CYVPU staff and providers.
- Improve program data quality and collection through outreach, data quality analysis, working with data providers, and leading the development of a digitized data collection system.
- Support the CYVPU Director and DVIP Director through provision of data for strategic plans, assisting with data interpretation for data informed prioritization of initiatives/resources, and root-cause analyses.
- Develop an annual work plan with the CYVPU Directors to address the data needs of CYVPU.
- Provide thought leadership and oversight of the development and optimization of existing and new data surveillance systems.
- Participate in regular planning and development meetings with the Director of the Child and Youth Violence Prevention Unit and/or staff.
- Collect, analyze, draft reports and conduct presentations on epidemiological data including statewide incidence, prevalence, morbidity, mortality, etc. related to youth violence and its risk/protective factors.
- Support CYVPU data dissemination needs by drafting and reviewing annual reports, legislative reports, presentations, bulletins, infographics, and other communication materials as required.
- Ensure infusion of a health equity framework into all surveillance analyses, evaluation plans, strategic planning support, dissemination materials, QI/QA projects, etc.
- Facilitate data workshops and webinars for providers and other stakeholders.
- Work closely with the Intentional Violence Epi II, OSE Director, OSE Deputy Director, and DVIP Director to identify divisional/bureau epidemiological needs related to Youth Violence prevention.
- Provide technical assistance to internal and external partners on the interpretation and utilization of youth violence surveillance and evaluation data.
- Respond to all funder requests and grant reporting stipulations as required, preparation of progress reports, reporting of performance metrics, and administrative duties as required.
- Collaborates with OSE and MDPH epidemiologists and program staff in conducting technical reviews.
- Oversee IRB approvals and applications for Child and Youth Violence Prevention Unit projects.
- Ability to analyze and determine the applicability of epidemiological data, to draw conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to prepare statistical reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to accurately record information provided orally.
- Analyzing and interpreting data related to youth violence.
- Knowledge of adverse childhood experiences; youth violence, including gun violence; positive youth development; and public health approaches to youth violence prevention.
- Familiarity with violence data sources (e.g., Youth Risk Behavior Survey, Behavior Risk Factor Surveillance System).
- Experience with data entry, data cleaning, data management and Programming experience in SAS.
- Ability to use SAS for statistical testing and modeling (e.g., chi-square, logistic regression).
- Knowledge of research and evaluation methods including Community Based Participatory Research.
- Experience supervising staff.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and health equity.
- Strong data visualization, dissemination and communication skills.
To see the full job posting and to apply, click here.