Title: Assistant Case Manager
Organization: Merrimack Valley YMCA
Summary of Position
The Merrimack Valley YMCA is seeking an Assistant Case Manager who will represent the YMCA personally, professionally and in a manner in accordance with the mission and goals of the YMCA and the SRO. The Assistant Case Manager is responsible for providing supportive services to YMCA SRO Residents in particular the SOS Program (Supportive Occupant Services) participants. Services include Section 8 subsidized housing assistance, advocacy, social skills workshops, substance abuse education, health education, on-site mental health and physical health professional visits, pre-employment readiness training, daily living skills training and support. This position is supervised by the Resident Case Manager. All Merrimack Valley YMCA staff will help champion a culture of service excellence and support and advocate the mission and values of the YMCA.
- Possesses an Associate’s Degree in Behavioral Science or equivalent experience.
- Two years of experience of working in the Behavioral Science Field.
- Preferred to be bi-lingual
- Able to communicate effectively and work with residents with many diverse-abilities.
- Able to establish well defined professional boundary lines with the residents and maintain them.
- Possesses basic computer skills, i.e., able to utilize Microsoft Outlook for emailing, Microsoft Word
- Organized and attention to details of confidential files
Physical and Mental Demands
- Able to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Maintain an acceptable dress code as per the YMCA dress code policy
- Able to work and communicate clearly and effectively as part of a staff team both verbally and in writing.
- Must remain flexible for job specific and general YMCA trainings and mandatory staff meetings.
- Orient new tenants to SRO life
- Develop ISP (individual service plan) with tenants who need or want one
- Advocate for Residents who require community services
- Assist Residents with daily life skills including hygiene, nutrition and personal finance
- Assist Residents in peer mediation and problem solving techniques
- Conduct quarterly Resident workshops
- Responsible to assist and to supervise Resident’s Activities that are held on their shift. These activities would include community meals that are both put on by the residents and those brought in by outside agencies as well as other such activities.
- Distribute of personal (SOS) and donated supplies to the residents in need of them
- Advise and assist Director in drawing up behavioral contracts for problematic tenants
- Refer tenants for substance abuse assistance and detoxification
- Assist Residents and refer tenants with mental, physical and spiritual problems
- Providing social services and ensuring the safe operation of the SRO/YMCA.
- Maintain active liaisons with YMCA supervisory staff.
- Create and promote a safe, positive and supportive environment.
- Ensure the health, safety and well-being of participants in the program, by providing close supervision of all activities.
- Create an environment that is diverse, culturally sensitive and relevant to the needs of residents.
- Ability to work cooperatively with professional staff and other departments
- Provide written reports when required by Directors and report all serious incidents.
- Inform Directors of all Resident related problems in the building.
- Communicate with Security on problematic tenants.
- Other duties as assigned by Directors.
At the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. To thrive in this role you must have a strong sense of compassion and understanding, and an interest in working directly with a vulnerable population. The core values that guide the YMCA in fulfilling the mission and goals are: Caring, Honesty, Respect, and Responsibility, and we instill these values in all programs.
Please e-mail a cover letter, resume and references to Mary Jane Dinsmore: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Merrimack Valley Y appreciates our staff and provides a strong competitive salary and comprehensive benefits plan including quality health and dental insurance, vision, long & short term disability, 12% Retirement paid by Y once eligibility is met, free family membership and generous time off and EAP. We are an equal opportunity employer – For All.