Title: Registered Nurse II (Full-Time) – Worcester
Organization: Planned Parenthood League of Massachusetts
Summary of Position
Functions in a variety of roles including family planning, abortion services, on call nursing, and centralized services depending on the needs of the health center and training level. Provides patient care according to PPLM protocols and policies and the professional standards of the American Nurses Association. Complies with all regulatory requirements, including OSHA, CLIA, Title X, CDC, DEA, and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. Complies with all RN related documented workflows including the follow-up and referral procedures as outlined in PPLM’s Follow-up Manual. Acts as a role model and resource for health care assistants, volunteers, and interns while providing a supervising role. Works collaboratively with all health center staff and managers to contribute to a positive work environment.
Compensation: Up to $32/hour.3
7.5 hours per week
Essential Responsibilities for Level I RNs
Functions in some or all of the following roles as determined by health center needs and training level:
Family Planning RN:
- Provides injection, pregnancy test, and contraceptive sales visits as indicated
- Assists with facilitation of emergent referrals as indicated.
Recovery Room RN:
- Performs patient admission, assessment, and discharge procedures per PPLM protocols
- Administers and dispenses prescribed medications
- Provides post-operative and contraceptive education
- Provides nursing care for expected vs. unexpected post-abortion outcomes
- Supervises and participates in clinic set-up, clean up, and re-stocking of the recovery room
- Establishes a collaborative, team relationship with and supervises all non-licensed staff, interns, and volunteers
- Answers emergency patient calls in a timely manner while working with the answering service
- Determines patient needs and direct patient to emergency services as necessary. Follows up with patient as required
- Complies with all follow-up and documentation procedures as outlined in PPLM’s On Call Policy and Follow-up Manual
- Follows HIPPA guidelines and maintains confidentiality in all aspects of patient care
Additional Responsibilities for Level II RNs
- Prepares patients for procedure
- Establishes eligibility of sedation, establishes/maintains IV access, and administers moderate sedation per protocol
- Supports and monitors patient during and after procedure (including vital signs)
- Provides assistance to the MD as needed and transports the patient to the recovery room
- Performs controlled substances counts before and after clinic with another staff RN
- Supervises and participates in clinic set-up, placing patients, room cleaning, and stocking supplies as needed.
- Establishes and maintains a collaborative, team relationship with and supervises all non-licensed staff
Additional Responsibilities for Level III RNs
Centralized Services RN:
- Follows all procedures for Centralized Services RNs as outlined in PPLM’s Follow-up Manual including timely telephone response for patient questions/concerns, prescriptions needs, lab test and referral follow up for patients who have received care from PPLM
- Oversees the work of Centralized Services Health Care Assistants
- Collaborates/consults with APCs and the on-Call physician to determine appropriate patient care needs as indicated
Additional Responsibilities for Level IV RNs
- Reviews all patient charts after counseling for completeness and patient eligibility according to protocols
- Consults with all clinic staff and patient administration as indicated
- Facilitates patient flow in the medical center in conjunction with the flow coordinator supervisor
- Advises staff and/or provides care in non-routine situations or manages complications
- Facilitates urgent referrals (Emergency Department and diagnostic ultrasound) for abortion, early pregnancy loss, and inconclusive ultrasound visits
- Assists providers with management of abortion and pregnancy related follow-up of abnormal results and referrals as outlined in PPLM’s Follow-up Manual
- Takes responsibility for changing staff assignments if needed, ensures prompt clinic start, assists in clinic set-up, patient placement, patient transport, and stocking as possible
- Manages staff responsibilities in coordination with the physician in the event of a medical emergency
- Manages RN breaks and lunches
- Assists RN Manager with scheduling AB clinic and on call RNs
- Ensures Rhogam injection is administered to each Rh negative patient before the patient leaves the clinic
- Ensures all HCG orders are correct, specimens are collected/prepared/shipped and follow-up order groups and any advised appointments are in place
- Manages compliance with daily and monthly code cart / AED/ O2 tank check documentation
- Manages compliance with policies for medication labeling/expiration/waste
- Establishes a collaborative, team relationship with all clinic staff and day supervisor
- Performs initial on-site 1:1 training for newly hired RNs and RNs with new assignments
- Collaborates with the Director of Nursing to ensure compliance with training program’s standardized policies and procedures
Other Duties and Responsibilities (All Levels):
- Push wheelchair from procedure to recovery
- Standing 95% of work day
- Use of proper body dynamics when moving patients as needed.
- Lift twenty-thirty pounds. Bend/reach/lift in clinic or when stocking supplies
- On Call Requirements Minimum: 2 days/month; Maximum: 6 days/month
- Monday-Saturday Days/possible rotation
- Participation in PPLM’s efforts to achieve goals for quality improvement and productivity
- 3-5 Years of experience preferred
- BA/BS preferred
- Current MA RN license required.
- CPR Certification.
- ACLS Certification
- Demonstrated ability to work with people of different races, ethnicities, sexual and gender identities and expressions, ages, abilities and experiences.
- Commitment to addressing the impact of racism and other oppressions on sexual health.
To view the complete job posting and to apply, click here.