Title: Mystic Valley Shared Services Communication and Outreach Specialist
Organization: Town of Wakefield
Status: Part time, exempt, 19.5 hours, partial PTO benefits
Starting Salary: Up to $29.58/hr, commensurate with experience
Posting Date: June 28, 2021
Closing Date: Opened until filled
View Posting: https://www.wakefield.ma.us/jobs
Summary of Position: The Mystic Valley Shared Services Coalition (MVSSC) is currently seeking a Communication and Outreach Specialist. This is a regionalized position that will serve as a shared resource for Wakefield, Melrose, Malden, Medford, Stoneham, and Winchester. The Town of Wakefield will be the employer.
Under the direction of the participating Public Health Departments, this position will be responsible for creating, improving, and maintaining content and communications to achieve the Coalition’s public awareness and engagement goals. This is expected to be a regionalized grant position that will serve as a shared resource for Wakefield, Melrose, Malden, Medford, Stoneham and Winchester. The Town of Wakefield will serve as the employer.
The candidate should be a highly motivated, creative individual with a passion for connecting residents, businesses, and communities to relevant content on a daily basis. Our ideal candidate is an experienced, team player with demonstrable creative writing skills and a sound design eye, along with the technical experience to execute our digital goals and communications programs.
The Communications and Outreach Specialist should perform well under deadlines and have the ability to work with multiple content owners with diverse goals, audiences, and viewpoints. This is a grant funded, three-year opportunity with the possibility of sustainability beyond three years. The MVSSC is a coalition of health departments representing Malden, Medford, Melrose, Stoneham, Wakefield and Winchester. It was developed in 2004 to address Emergency Preparedness mandates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Responsibilities: The candidate will coordinate all web content, digital content, and social media initiatives to ensure concise messaging and community engagement. This employee will increase cross-jurisdictional sharing of the Mystic Valley Public Health Services to strengthen delivery capabilities of local public health departments.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Monitor web traffic and other metrics to identify best practices.
- Establish a process that connects all communities with content in a way that ensures timely information dissemination.
- Create strategies for short-term and long-term projects to develop content aligned with social media/web goals
- Identify various audiences and how best to engage each target audience through social media and web content delivery.
- Develop solid working relationships with each of the communities and their local communication specialists to best reach communication goals.
- Collaborate with department leaders to plan and develop site content while ensuring brand consistency.
- Write, edit, proof, and publish engaging, timely, high quality content and communications.
- Ensure legal compliance (e.g. copyright and data protection).
- Stay up-to-date with developments and generate new ideas to draw our audience’s attention
- BS degree in journalism, social science, project development, marketing, or three years of clear demonstrable experience relevant to the field.
- Ability to conceptualize, create, and implement new and innovative communication/outreach practices.
- Experience using social media to engage diverse communities.
- Familiar with public health education and risk communications.
- Experience working with and balancing the needs of multiple stakeholders.
- Basic technical knowledge of HTML and web publishing.
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, video editing, and content management systems.
- Strong interpersonal skills; a true team player.
- Ability to work well with content owners of all technical/creative levels.
- Excellent writing skills in English.
- Attention to detail; great organizational and time-management skills
- Strong experience with Microsoft Office products.
- Familiarity with the communities of Wakefield, Melrose, Malden, Medford, Stoneham, and Winchester
Job Environment: Work is performed under typical office conditions and other settings include: school facilities, other local municipalities, outdoors environments. This position will have frequent contact with the general public, other town departments, officials from the Mystic Valley communities, outside agencies, businesses, vendors, other governmental organizations, and attorneys. Communication is by means of telephone, online meeting platforms, personal discussion, and written correspondence and involves discussing routine information requiring patience and courtesy. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.