Title: Public Health Nurse
Organization: Town of Amherst
Status: Non-Union Level: 3
Summary of Position
The Town of Amherst seeks a Public Health Nurse to assess, plan, coordinate, and provide public health services to Amherst residents of all ages and backgrounds. This position is 30 hours per week and offers competitive benefits.
Performs a variety of routine and complex professional work in providing services to ensure the public health of the community pursuant to rules and regulations related to public health and the nursing profession.
Serves under the broad supervision of the Public Health Director who reviews the overall effectiveness of programs and suggests areas requiring attention. Acts as advisor and refers problem situations to the Health Director with recommendations for resolution. Performs regular duties on own initiative within established guidelines. In emergencies, may exercise independent judgment in resolving problems.
The employee is responsible for his/her own work but may be expected to provide occasional assistance to lower level, part-time, or new employees.
- Case management including visits with clients, evaluation of client status, dispersing of medications, such as for Tuberculosis.
- Conducts health related clinics as needed; supervises the distribution of vaccines. Receives and processes orders from physicians for vaccines; answers providers questions regarding new vaccines and/or policies. Maintains inventory of all supplies and completes and submits reports to appropriate agencies as needed.
- Provides resource and referrals for the general public for issues related to health, including referrals to support groups, area resources and providers, free or low-cost screening/care, transportation for medical appointments, and other programs which may be available.
- Evaluates outcomes of public health nursing interventions; works with others (clients and other professionals) to makes changes as necessary.
- Investigates and documents communicable disease cases. Provides health information and education materials to providers of preventive care in an effort to decrease spread of disease. Confers with inspectors and health care providers in managing cases; implements Department of Public Health guidelines in the event of an outbreak of communicable diseases. Maintains knowledge of emerging pathogens and community risk factors. Works in conjunction with School nurses and administrators to identify public health needs within the community; aids in developing health policies in responding to outbreaks of communicable diseases.
- Collaborates in development and delivery of programs and activities for individuals, families and population groups that promote health and prevent disease, in settings including, but not limited to all Health Department buildings/sites, homes, community organizations and businesses, schools, and the community in general. Utilizes appropriate methods for interacting effectively and professionally with persons of all ages and from diverse cultural, socioeconomic, educational, racial, and ethnic, sexual orientations, lifestyles and physical abilities. Delivers targeted, culturally-appropriate information to help individuals and groups understand health promotion and disease prevention information, policies, and regulations.
- Participates in community assessment; can distinguish between quantitative and qualitative community assessment data; understands incidence and prevalence data; knows how to access basic community epidemiological data. Participates in the analysis of data to identify trends, health problems, environmental health hazards, and social and economic conditions that adversely affect the public’s health.
- Adheres to Occupational Safety and Health Administration standards, such as those concerning exposure to blood-borne pathogens, toxic substances, airborne pathogens or exposure to other hazards during routine assignments or assignments during public health emergencies.
- Participate in public health emergency response training and exercises in support of disaster preparedness involving interdepartmental and outside agency collaboration and coordination. Planning and execution of emergency drills. This may require working a non-traditional work schedule or working outside normally assigned duties during a public health incident or emergency.
- Respond to public health emergencies and or take weekend calls for public health emergencies. This may require working a non-traditional work schedule or working outside normally assigned duties during a public health incident or emergency. Performs public health emergency response duties as assigned and consistent with training provided, in response to threats to the public’s health consistent with job classification.
- As needed, makes recommendations to the Public Health Director concerning changes in policy and operations.
- Performs similar or related work as required or as situation dictates.
Bachelor’s Degree in nursing and 2 years’ experience in public health setting or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge of nursing and public health principles, practices and methods as applicable to a municipal setting; working knowledge of applicable laws, standards and regulations relating to public health. Skill in operating the listed tools and equipment. Ability to prepare, organize and maintain data, reports and systems; ability to analyze complex situations, problems and data, and use sound judgment in drawing conclusions and making decisions; ability to comprehend and articulate complex facts and relationships in detail and to summarize and write clearly, concisely and legibly in a professional manner; ability to produce or obtain reports, graphs, charts, photographs or the evidence or exhibits; ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with citizens, employees, supervisors and the general public; ability to follow verbal and written instructions; ability to handle stressful situations and effectively deal with difficult or angry people.
Must possess a valid MA Class D driver’s license. Current MA license as a Registered Nurse. Maintains current CPR certification.
Tools and Equipment Used
Appropriate medical equipment, personal computer, including word processing and data base software; motor vehicle; phone; copy and fax machine.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed mostly in indoor settings. Hand-eye coordination is necessary to operate computers and various pieces of equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; talk or hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally work in outside weather conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, and communicable diseases.
The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet to moderate.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
To apply, please use the following link: https://ma-amherst.civicplushrms.com/. Application review begins Friday, July 16, 2021. Position closing date is July 30, 2021.