Title: Mystic Valley Environmental Health Specialist/Public Health Inspector
Organization: Town of Wakefield
Status: Full time, 35 Hours, full benefits
Starting Salary: Up to $70,000, commensurate with experience
Posting Date: June 29, 2021
Closing Date: Upon until filled
View Posting: https://www.wakefield.ma.us/jobs
Summary of Position: The Mystic Valley Shared Services Coalition (MVSSC) is currently seeking an Environmental Health Specialist/Public Health Inspector. This is a regionalized position that will serve as a shared resource for Wakefield, Melrose, Malden, Medford, Stoneham, and Winchester. The Town of Wakefield will be the employer.
- Conduct inspections of selected retail food establishments, schools, public and semi-public swimming pools, and/or site inspections for conformance to and violations of accepted health regulations, maintaining and promoting community health.
- Enforce various state government and municipal ordinances, other regulations, and sanitary and environmental codes regarding public health and safety.
- Spearhead special environmental health projects, assigned based on community needs.
- Perform inspection, answer questions, review plans, and review relevant regulations and scientific information in order to enforce appropriate regulations.
- Assist businesses and residents in problem solving a wide variety of environmental health concerns.
- Investigate and respond to complaints relating to unsanitary, dangerous, and/or unsafe living conditions and environments, including fire and building safety, asbestos removal, lead paint inspections and removal, rodent and insect control, drinking water, and septic systems.
- Respond to general complaints, including nuisances, odors, rabies control, water quality, air quality, solid waste, hazardous waste, etc.
- Perform similar or related work as required, or as situation dictates
Supervisory Responsibilities: The immediate supervisor of this employee is the MVSSC Grant Coordinator, who reports into the Mystic Valley Health Directors.
The employee will operate in accordance with applicable state and local laws and regulations, department policies and procedures. This position will require the ability to plan and perform operations to independently complete assigned tasks according to a prescribed time schedule and the ability to independently establish one’s own daily work plan based on regular routine and special assignments. This position is not a formal supervisory role.
- Two years of related experience in public health or environmental health
- Mature and independent judgment and initiative.
- The ability to analyze, solve problems, and make decisions based on departmental, city, state, and federal policies and regulations.
- A strong commitment to public service.
- Valid Massachusetts driver’s license, Class D
- Certified Food Safety Manager if not RS/REHS Certified
- MAPHIT Housing and Food Inspector Certification
- Certified Pool Operator
- Completion of ICS100-300 & NIMS 700
- Registration by the Massachusetts Board of Registration as a Registered Sanitarian and/or Certified Health Officer preferred
- Knowledge of FDA Voluntary Retail Food Program Standards
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel and experience using databases.
- Experience with WinWam Software preferred
Education: Bachelor’s degree in public or environmental health science, or a related field
Job Environment: Some work is performed under typical office conditions and other settings include: restaurants, private residents, school facilities, other facilities, and outdoors environments. This position will have frequent contact with the general public, other town departments, officials from the Mystic Valley communities, outside agencies, businesses, vendors, other governmental organizations, and attorneys. Communication is by means of telephone, online meeting platforms, personal discussion, and written correspondence and involves discussing routine information requiring patience and courtesy. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Mystic Valley Public Health Coalition (MVPHC) is a coalition of health departments representing Malden, Medford, Melrose, Stoneham, Wakefield and Winchester. It was developed in 2004 to address Emergency Preparedness mandates from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).