Title: Program Coordinator
Organization: Groundwork Lawrence
About the Organization
Groundwork Lawrence (GWL), a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, has been making change happen in Lawrence, Massachusetts since 2001. Through community engagement, environmental and open space improvements, fresh food access, youth education, and employment initiatives, GWL creates the building blocks of a healthy community, and empowers residents to improve their quality of life. GWL achieves results by engaging the whole community – residents, youth, nonprofits, government and businesses – in the planning and realization of projects. With this collaborative approach, GWL ensures that all stakeholders are mutually invested in the outcomes, the key to stable neighborhoods and sustainable change.
GWL’s mission and operations are premised on the understanding that environmental conditions are inextricably linked to the economic and social health of a neighborhood. As a consequence, GWL is committed to “changing places and changing lives” through on-the-ground projects that help to transform local communities. GWL’s mission is “to bring about the sustained regeneration, improvement and management of the physical environment by developing community-based partnerships which empower people, businesses and organizations to promote environmental, economic and social well-being.”
Summary of Position
GWL is seeking a Program Coordinator to implement a variety of youth education programs. Reporting to the Deputy Director, this position collaborates with the education team and temporary summer staff to deliver top quality environmental and public health youth programming and helps integrate youth into GWL’s community activities and events.
We hold high expectations for our youth, and in order to reach their full potential we require our Program Coordinator to be a strong role model. Ideal candidates will possess enthusiasm for working with youth, a commitment to Groundwork Lawrence’s mission, a strong work ethic, and strong organizational skills combined with attention to details.
Youth Education Program Responsibilities
- Implement Schoolyard Garden/Environmental Education Programs: in-school and after school programs designed to cultivate healthy habits and promote healthy eating, fitness, and environmental awareness for middle and elementary school students.
- Provide direction, guidance, and assistance with curriculum development for all youth education initiatives including schoolyard gardens, urban ecology and natural history programs, and stewardship projects.
- Manage and assist with implementation of vacation and summer camp environmental education programs in partnership with schools, Summer Parks and Recreation, and other community-based organizations.
- Collaborate and support the Green Team program, our signature young adult employment program that incorporates environmental and public health education, urban agriculture, stewardship, and leadership and job skill development.
- Participate in service and community events and partnerships including GWUSA Youth Leaders.
- Participate in, and ensure youth integration in, GWL projects, community programs, and events including Earth Day, Spicket River Cleanup, Kite Festival and farmers markets.
- Collaborate with local colleagues and organizations to implement new and existing programs.
- Assume other responsibilities, as needed.
- Must share a passion for Groundwork’s values and vision;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field;
- Demonstrated experience working with urban youth;
- 3-5 years minimum experience in planning and delivering education programs;
- 2-3 years minimum comparable management experience and excellent references;
- Experience with curriculum development and familiarity with MA State Curriculum Frameworks;
- Demonstrated outstanding organizational skills along with strong oral and written communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills;
- Basic computer skills: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Ability to balance competing priorities and deadlines and to handle multiple tasks;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues;
- Be a self-starter and work well independently, as well as value collaboration;
- Must be experienced working in multi-cultural, inclusive settings;
- Master’s degree in education or related field
- Subject expertise in environmental/ecological studies, urban agriculture, public health, and/or related fields;
- Experience working with/within school districts a plus;
- Bilingual or ability to communicate in Spanish
Starting salary range is $36,000-$42,000 commensurate with experience. Employee benefits include employer payment of 75% of health and dental insurance, an employer-matched retirement plan, and excellent paid time off benefits. This position reports to the Deputy Director and is an exempt, full-time position requiring some evening and weekend hours. GWL provides excellent opportunities for advancement and growth within the organization.
To Apply: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit letter of interest describing your relevant experience and interest in Groundwork Lawrence along with your resume. Resumes will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Priority will be given to resumes received by June 15th to: Groundwork Lawrence, Attn: Human Resources, 50 Island Street, Lawrence, MA 01840, fax: (978) 974 0882, or email@example.com.