Title: Public Health Nurse, Melrose & Wakefield
Organization: City of Melrose
Status: 35 hours per week, Local 272 union benefit eligible with comprehensive benefits & PTO; Level 15, starting salary $71,227 commensurate with experience.
Summary of Position
The Public Health Nurse’s function is to improve the health of the community using knowledge from professional nursing theories and public health sciences. The primary concerns are the health promotion and education, communicable disease monitoring and follow up, duties as required by state law, and clinical evaluations.
- Investigate the occurrence of cases of communicable diseases, for the purpose of verification of the existence of the disease, ascertaining the source of the disease-causing agent, identifying unreported cases, locating contacts of the cases, identifying those at risk of disease, determining necessary control measures;
- Assigns cases, provides supervision to other staff and volunteers as caseload demands.
- Implement enforcement of the State Isolation and Quarantine Regulations 105CMR300;
- Make appropriate referrals to other health professionals and community agencies;
- Provide residents with knowledge of available health services provided by the other agencies;
- Consult with health related matters, procedures and regulations with day care facilities and pre-school;
- Provide health awareness programs;
- Provide community outreach activities;
- Maintain an accurate record keeping system that ensures timely administrative and comprehensive compliance with the laws related to public records;
- Compiles reports as required;
- Work with other Health Department staff to provide public health nursing services as necessary;
- Mentor community health nursing students in collaboration with local colleges;
- Participate with other health professionals and community representatives in assuring that community needs are identified and health programs are established to meet those needs;
- Coordinates Immunization Clinics;
- Act in assigned role in Incident Command System;
- Respond sensitively and constructively to citizen complaints; provide customer service with tact, courtesy, cultural sensitivity and discretion in all dealings with customers.
- Contribute to creating a collaborative work culture that appreciates diverse perspective and approaches matters with flexibility and cultural relevance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from an accredited college or university
- Valid license to practice as a Registered Nurse in Massachusetts
- Current Healthcare Provider CPR card and First Aid card
- Valid Massachusetts driver’s license and reliable transportation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Enrollment and working knowledge of MAVEN within 1 month of employment
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy in maintaining records
- Skill in operation of clinical tools and equipment
- Demonstrated Knowledge of state public health regulations and laws
- Excellent interpersonal skills and customer service orientation, demonstrated experience providing customer service to co-workers and residents, and the public using tact, proper judgment, courtesy, respect and discretion.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies (employees, supervisors, other agencies, general public) and ensure a culturally relevant and sensitive approach.
- The position requires adaptability, diverse perspective and the ability to collaborate and appreciate other’s viewpoints.
- Ability to creatively problem solve
- Must be able to exercise a high degree of confidentiality and discretion.
- Completing of NIMS100 and ICS 100 and 200 courses within 6 month of employment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to walk sit, climb, kneel, drive, talk and/or hear. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, controls and body parts and reach with hands and arms. The employee will regularly use computer keyboards and medical tools requiring hand-eye coordination and finger dexterity.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Employees are occasionally exposed to exceptionally dirty and odoriferous environments and biologic hazards.
Please send a letter of interest and a resume to Polina Latta, Director of Human Resources via firstname.lastname@example.org by May 3, 2021.
City of Melrose is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
In our communities we believe in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in by cultivating a workforce where diverse perspectives are valued and where every employee can bring their best and most authentic selves to work. We are driven by the value of excellence and believe that everyone deserves the best service and access to resources, regardless of their race, gender identity, religion, ethnicity, physical abilities, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or personal experience. We embrace employees & candidates from these underrepresented groups to help make this vision a reality.
No Residency Requirement