Title: Health Director, Melrose & Wakefield
Organization: City of Melrose
Status: 35 hours per week, Local 272 union benefit eligible with comprehensive benefits & PTO; Level 15, starting salary $71,227 commensurate with experience.
Summary of Position
The Health Director administers the overall operations of the Melrose Health Department, oversees the enforcement of state and local public health laws, ordinances and regulations and works with the community to address public health issues.
• Identify, write and implement grants for the Health Department
• Prepare and implement the budget for the Department
• Serve as the Board of Health’s representative in the community
• Manage payrolls and bills payable for the Department from all funding sources
• Manage full and part-time staff of the Department including but not limited to school nurses, public health nurses, inspectors, tobacco control and clerical personnel
• Perform duties of all staff in case of vacancies (except clinical nursing duties required to be performed by a Registered Nurse)
• Identify health needs in the City and work to meet these needs using a variety of City, agency and other institution resources.
• Administer technical and supervise implementation and enforcement of local regulations and ordinances, State Sanitary Code, State Environmental Code and state statutes pertaining to public health
• Perform inspections for enforcement of local regulations and ordinances, State Sanitary Code, State Environmental Code and state statues as needed, e.g. food, housing, lead, nuisance, solid waste, hazardous waste, swimming pools, tanning, massage, body piercing, air pollution, septic systems
• Represent Melrose Board of Health in court proceedings at Malden District Court and Cambridge District Court
• Develop health promotion programs and community education
• Maintain personal knowledge of current legal and technical public health issues which may effect the community
• Develop creative solutions to resolve diverse public health situations utilizing a variety of local and regional resources
• Provide staff assistance to the Board of Health
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree in Public Health or related field
• Registration by the Massachusetts Board of Registration as a Registered Sanitarian and/or Certified Health Officer or receipt of such within one year of employment
• Certified Food Manager or receipt of such within one year of employment
• Completion of NIMS 100 and ICS courses through and including ICS 400.
• Master’s Degree in Public Health or related field
• Certified Pool Operator
• Knowledge of FDA Voluntary Retail Food Program Standards
• Minimum five years of public health or environmental health experience
• Minimum two years administrative and supervisory experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Good computer knowledge
• Maintain confidentiality
• Maintain records
• Work independently
• Plan, coordinate and direct activities of personnel under their supervision
• Locate and write grants
• Interpret and enforce laws and regulations firmly, tactfully and impartially
• Communicate public health information to the public
Periods of time spent in non-office environments under conditions potentially involving disagreeable and/or hazardous conditions. May spend extended periods at terminal, on telephone, or operating other office machines requiring eye-hand coordination and finger dexterity. May require sustained periods of standing and walking. Regular lifting and carrying.
Please send a letter of interest and a resume to Polina Latta, Director of Human Resources via email@example.com by April 30, 2021.
City of Melrose is an Equal Opportunity Employer
In our communities we believe in advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in by cultivating a workforce where diverse perspectives are valued and where every employee can bring their best and most authentic selves to work. We are driven by the value of excellence and believe that everyone deserves the best service and access to resources, regardless of their race, gender identity, religion, ethnicity, physical abilities, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or personal experience. We embrace employees & candidates from these underrepresented groups to help make this vision a reality.
No Residency Requirement