Title: Administrative Assistant
Organization: City of Melrose Department of Public Health
Supervisor: Director of Health
Status: Local 272 Clerical Unit, 30 hours per week, Level 9; Benefit Eligible
Summary of Position
Under the general supervision of the Health Director, the AA performs all recordkeeping, accounting and support functions for the Health Director, School Nurses, Health Inspectors, Public Health Nurse, Melrose Substance Abuse Prevention Program, Mass in Motion, Regional Tobacco Control Program, Regional Substance Abuse Prevention Program, Animal Control and Board of Health. The Health Department covers a wide range of issues, some volatile and others highly confidential. The AA coordinates the day and is responsible for ensuring that information is conveyed in an accurate, timely and efficient manner.
- Respond sensitively and constructively to citizen complaints; provide customer service with tact, courtesy, cultural sensitivity and discretion in all dealings with customers. Provide accurate information to public queries about a range of public health issues including the Housing Code and the Food Code.
- Contribute to creating a collaborative work culture that appreciates diverse perspective and approaches matters with flexibility and cultural relevance.
- Coordinate schedules and programming with Wakefield Health Department
- Process license renewals electronically as required; perform follow up to ensure all license applications are complete and on time.
- Perform follow up calls for certain food establishments on a timely basis.
- Track electronically public complaints in the centralized database and monthly status reports.
- Compile monthly and annual complaint and inspection data for departmental, city and state reports.
- Maintain and add information to department Website
- Maintain department social media accounts
- Complete electronic Burial Permits.
- Manage Accounts receivables by collecting fees and depositing funds weekly.
- Keep records of a variety of inspections: housing, food, tanning establishments, massage establishments and therapists, recreational camps, swimming pools.
- Prepare payrolls with up to 11 funding sources and manage accounts payables.
- Assist in managing Vaccination program.
- Maintain current budget status of a variety of funding sources for the Department Budget, Revolving Fund and Grants.
- Provide information to the public on a wide range of public health issues; triages calls to appropriate staff, department or outside agency.
- Attend and take accurate minutes during the Substance Abuse Prevention Coalition meetings and any other meetings for the Health Department. Gather statistics for different public health programs, e.g., adult immunization clinics.
- Provide administrative support to public health department staff.
- Maintain inventory of office supplies.
- Perform other work as directed.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and customer service orientation, demonstrated experience providing customer service to co-workers and residents, and the public using tact, proper judgment, courtesy, respect and discretion.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies and ensure a culturally relevant and sensitive approach.
- The position requires adaptability, diverse perspective and the ability to collaborate and appreciate other’s viewpoints.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Attend and successfully complete Foundations of Public Health certification course
- Ability to learn a variety of subject matter and communicate it effectively to the public.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Intermediate skills in computer and word processing; working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite of applications, including MS Outlook.
- Ability to work independently, establishing own work plan and priorities with minimal supervision, operating within standard procedure.
- A demonstrated ability to work constructively in a professional environment and maintain strict confidentiality is required.
To Apply: Please send a letter of interest and a resume to Polina Latta, Director of Human Resources via firstname.lastname@example.org by March 2, 2021.
City of Melrose is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.