Title: Policy Associate
Organization: Massachusetts Public Health Association
Location: Boston, MA
Brief Summary of Position
Promoting racial justice is a core component of MPHA’s work and identity. As MPHA pursues policy changes to promote health equity, we strive to confront the history of racial discrimination that has been embedded in public policy. MPHA’s Health Equity Policy Framework is designed to guide us in addressing all forms of health inequities in our external work and internal practices. The framework places special emphasis on racial inequities because we believe that this injustice needs explicit attention.
The Policy Associate will be a core part of a four-person Policy & Field Team working to advance MPHA’s policy agenda and support MPHA-led coalitions. The ideal candidate will be a proactive, detail-oriented person driven to constantly learn new things and to build and strengthen relationships with MPHA partners in order to enable high-impact advocacy actions.
The position is based in our downtown Boston office and reports to the Director of Public Policy & Campaign Strategy. This is a 20 hour per week position, with flexibility in scheduling during business hours.
MPHA’s success depends on a small but excellent staff and its ability to work as a team. We believe that our ongoing success depends on a diversity of talents and lived experiences as we strive for greater health equity in Massachusetts.
The Policy Associate will:
- Support MPHA-led coalition efforts, including managing coalition membership, meeting agendas and logistics, and communications. Actively support coalition advocacy activities and the engagement and retention of members.
- Track and analyze policy developments related to MPHA priorities, including monitoring the state budget, legislation, and regulations.
- Coordinate and support advocacy activities, including State House and field outreach, advocacy events, panels for public hearings, etc.
- Draft materials to support MPHA advocacy, including testimony, reports, fact sheets, action alerts, blog posts, and talking points.
- Conduct research to support MPHA and coalition advocacy.
- Represent MPHA at external meetings, including meetings at the State House, as needed.
- Execute other duties as assigned.
We understand that there are many paths to acquiring experience. Therefore, we welcome candidates from diverse and nontraditional backgrounds for this role, including those who have demonstrated transferable skills to carry out the major duties outlined in this job description.
- Commitment to health equity, racial justice, and the mission of MPHA.
- Ability to anticipate challenges in advance and take a leading role driving work forward.
- Fast and enthusiastic learner interested in growing knowledge in a wide variety of topic areas.
- Exceptionally organized with strong attention to detail.
- Strong time management and multi-tasking capabilities and ability to work in a fast–paced environment.
- Experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of external partners (e.g., grassroots leaders, policymakers, organizational staff, health care leaders, etc.) with flexibility and professional maturity.
- Experience incorporating the perspectives of multiple communities, including communities of color, in decision-making processes and in assessing the impacts and outcomes of decisions.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills. Ability to flex communication style to multiple cultural environments.
- Bachelor’s degree plus minimum of one year of experience working in public health policy, politics or a related field as an employee, intern, or volunteer; or an Associate degree plus two years’ experience. Three years of related work experience may be substituted for an undergraduate degree.
Occasional in-state travel is necessary. Availability for occasional early morning, evening, or weekend events and meetings is required.
Salary range: $20-22,000 (for part time/20 hours per week). Excellent pro-rated health, dental and paid time off benefits.
MPHA is an equal opportunity employer committed to a workplace that reflects the diversity of the people of Massachusetts. We encourage people of color to apply.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Individuals interested in applying should click here. You will be asked to complete some basic application information and provide a cover letter and resume. No calls please.