Title: Usability Associate (1 Full-Time position in Northampton, MA or Rockville, MD)
Organization: Communicate Health
Brief Summary of Position:
Communicate Health is looking for a usability associate with a strong interest in health communication and designing for behavior change. You have knowledge of human-centered design and user-experience (UX) best practices. You have proven experience assisting in research — like contextual inquiry and usability testing.
You enjoy keeping research on schedule and making sure all the details (recruiting, protocols, templates, reports, etc.) are just right. You enjoy evaluating the usability of products —from full websites to interactive tools to mobile apps.
You are a critical thinker and get excited about hearing users’ needs and brainstorming solutions. You enjoy working independently and collaboratively, have experience giving and receiving feedback, and have outstanding organizational and problem-solving skills. You are passionate about making health information easier to understand and growing your research and analytic skills.
- Assist team in following established processes for research, including review and approval of deliverables
- Support environmental scans, heuristic reviews, and web analytics reviews
- Coordinate recruitment and logistics for all research methods
- Take organized and detailed notes during primary data collection (i.e., interviews, focus groups, usability testing, card sorting and other research activities)
- Take detailed, actionable notes for client and team meetings — and ensure next steps are carried out promptly
- Maintain accurate records of interviews, safeguarding the confidentiality of subjects as necessary
- Maintain study/project schedules and timelines
- Support data analysis (qualitative and/or quantitative) under the supervision of senior research staff and contribute to recommendations on information architecture and user interactions
- Support the development of easy-to-use digital products and define product requirements based on client feedback and user research
- Draft research deliverables (such as protocols and reports) under the supervision of senior research staff
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field — like human-computer interaction, information design, consumer health informatics, or other information design disciplines
- At least 2 years of professional experience
- Experience conducting usability research with diverse audiences
- Stellar planning, communication, and organizational skills
- Familiarity with best practices in usability and UX design
- Ability to “think on your feet” and come up with creative and appropriate solutions
- Ability to work well in teams with other highly qualified professionals in a relaxed, culturally diverse environment
- Ability to travel (up to 1 week every 2 or 3 months) and work outside of normal business hours during data collection
- Master’s degree in a related field — like human-computer interaction, information design, consumer health informatics, or other information design disciplines
- Experience with wireframing or UX design
- Experience conducting research on behalf of the federal government
- Familiarity with federal plain language guidelines and Section 508 compliance
- English/Spanish bilingual
- Solid working knowledge of common operating systems and software including iOS for Mac
- Comfortable with digital-based work, especially digital project management and collaboration tools and video conferencing
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.