Title: Senior Program Officer
Organization: The Health Foundation of Central Massachusetts, Inc.
Brief Summary of Position:
The Health Foundation of Central Massachusetts (“Foundation”) seeks a highly motivated and qualified individual to fill a new Senior Program Officer position beginning in January 2019. The Senior Program Officer will play an important role in helping the Foundation continue to grow its grantmaking impact. Reporting to the Vice President for Programs, the Senior Program Officer will assume primary responsibility for the development and implementation of the Foundation’s Activation Fund grantmaking avenue.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assists in the development and implementation of the Foundation’s Activation Fund grantmaking avenue; facilitates the application process and implements policies and procedures to manage the grantmaking review and award processes; monitors the grant evaluation process; and assists in assessing the Foundation’s impact.
- Serves as lead staff member advising potential applicants about the Foundation’s Activation Fund grantmaking guidelines, assisting with proposal development, and reviewing all proposals. In consultation with the Vice President for Programs and the President/CEO, determines if applications meet Foundation guidelines and, if appropriate, conducts a thorough analysis of the proposals and prepares written summaries and recommendations for action by the Board, and then documents the Board’s action.
- Coordinates with the Grants Manager to update the Foundation’s grants software system to track grant proposals from receipt to final disposition, schedule payments, ensure timely grant monitoring reports, and analyze data for standard and ad hoc reports.
- Prepares grant decision notifications and grant announcements, including the preparation of correspondence, newsletters, contracts, media releases, social media content, and website information.
- Assists Vice President for Programs in supporting Board meetings and relevant committee meetings throughout the year.
- Maintains broad up‐to‐date knowledge of new concepts, resources, and “best practices” in health care, public health, health policy, and philanthropy.
- Develops and maintains a knowledge of the nonprofit and philanthropic sectors, especially in Central Massachusetts. Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with Foundation stakeholders.
- Advanced degree (Master’s degree or above) in public health, public policy, social services, or related field
- Background in grant seeking or grantmaking
- Experience managing projects and individuals across diverse settings
- Enjoyment of and excellence in oral and written communication
- Strong analytical and problem‐solving skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency with information technology (including but not limited to Word, Excel, PowerPoint, video editing)
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as a self‐starter in setting priorities and accomplishing tasks
- Interest in working across a wide‐ranging set of issues and disciplines
- Commitment to supporting nonprofits to improve the health of vulnerable populations in Central Massachusetts
- Familiarity with Central Massachusetts through experience living and/or working in the Foundation’s service area
The Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes a diverse pool of applicants. Candidates are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible. To be considered for this position, please mail a cover letter (describing your interest, relevant experience, and salary expectation) and resume to:
Senior Program Officer Search
The Health Foundation of Central Massachusetts, Inc.
446 Main St., 20th Floor
Worcester, MA 01608