Title: Laboratory Technician I
Organization: Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Brief Summary of Position:
As part of Central Laboratory Services, this position performs pre-analytic specimen processing for a variety of laboratories in the Massachusetts State Public Health Laboratory (MSPHL), and operates various laboratory and office equipment. The Laboratory Technician I enters specimen receipt order information and testing laboratory into laboratory information management systems (LIMS), and ensures accuracy for notification, prioritization, routing and delivery of specimens to the proper testing laboratory. The incumbent maintains documentation for quality control records and inventory, and complies with all safety and security protocols.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Receives and sorts specimens submitted to a variety of laboratories at the MASPHL.
- Provides customer service to outside providers, couriers and internal staff via in person, email or by phone regarding laboratory testing information.
- Enters tracking information of specimens into the LIMS system and distributes specimen to the appropriate testing laboratory.
- Handles unlabeled or mislabeled specimens that may require re-routing and document any discrepancies and changes.
- Responds to inquiries about receipt of specimens.
- Distributes kits for environmental and clinical testing after verification of order and licensure of requesting inspectors and providers.
- Oversees inventory of laboratory supplies. Maintains cleanliness in the laboratory according to established procedures.
- Complies with all safety and security protocols.
- Provides staff coverage in Central Lab Services such as Media Preparation, Glassware and Specimen Kit Room as required.
- Provides staff coverage in laboratories including Virology, Microbiology, and Chemistry laboratories as required.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to interact effectively with the staff, couriers, providers and other agencies.
- Promotes a positive working environment and establishes a rapport and maintains a harmonious working relationship with others.
- Ability to work in a team setting and demonstrate an appropriate level of professionalism.
- Ability to multitask and work accurately under stress of time constraints and heavy workload demands.
- Has an attention to detail, maintains neat and orderly work habits and shared workspace.
- Manual dexterity, ability to lift and carry objects up to 20 pounds and visual accuracy such as color differentiation.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions and maintain accurate records.
- Basic computer skills including Microsoft Office.
To view full job posting or to apply, please click here.