Title: Healthcare Preparedness Coordinator
Organization: Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Brief Summary of Position:
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health Office of Preparedness and Emergency Management (DPH OPEM) is seeking a Healthcare Systems Preparedness Coordinator to administer key projects and provide complex preparedness coordination for DPH OPEM. This role is critical in providing to technical assistance and support to health care organizations to strengthen their capacity to prepare for and respond to emergencies.
The Healthcare Preparedness Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing statewide healthcare preparedness activities for the MDPH OPEM and supporting planning and preparedness efforts of healthcare stakeholders in the Commonwealth. This individual works closely with healthcare facilities to address issues related to emergency preparedness, response, recovery, and mitigation as a part of the Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response (ASPR) federally mandated and funded Hospital Preparedness Program (HPP). The Healthcare Preparedness Coordinator will serve as the primary contact with, and lead subject matter expert on, preparedness planning statewide for Emergency Medical Services (EMS). In this role they will oversee mass casualty incident (MCI) planning, MCI patient tracking, mass decontamination unit (MDU) planning, the development of Crisis Standards of Care and engagement with stakeholders for planning for Ebola and other special pathogens.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide overall project management and technical assistance to health care organizations to strengthen capacity to prepare for and respond to emergencies.
- Provide oversight for preparedness planning with EMS statewide.
- Serve as the OPEM contact for the Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS) and the primary contact for the Directors of the five Regional EMS Councils.
- Oversees all contracts, work plans and budgets with the Regional EMS Councils.
Serve as the project lead for MCI patient tracking, establishing protocols and coordinating drills and exercises with the Planning and Exercise Unit Administrator.
- Responsible for long term MDU planning with the Department of Fire Service and other state and local partners.
- Oversee development of Crisis Standards of Care and serve as the project leader.
- Provide oversight for Federal funds directed to Ebola and other special pathogens and participate in planning projects for this funding.
- Serve as the Region 5 (southeast) hospital coordinator and assist the region’s hospitals to review and approve work plans and budgets provided in response to annual MDPH/ASPR grant allocation of funding to hospitals and perform ongoing monitoring of hospital expenditures and progress made in completing those expenditures to achieve the funded objectives.
- Facilitate, monitor and assist with the development/revision and exercising of regional hospital, healthcare facility and EMS surge capacity plans.
- During activations of the Department Operations Center and/or ESF8 at the State
- Emergency Operations Center, act as a liaison to OEMS regarding response or needs of the incident.
- Participate as a member of the OPEM Duty Officer team and respond, when instructed, to various types of health and medical emergencies on a 24/7 basis.
- Work may include overnight and weekend shifts as needed.
- Perform other duties as required by supervisor.
- Knowledge of the principles and core concepts of emergency preparedness, specifically as it relates to healthcare system preparedness.
- Knowledge of and familiarity working with, emergency plans and procedures, including surge plans and plans for the establishment and operation of alternate care sites.
- Ability to write concisely, to express thoughts clearly, and to develop ideas in logical sequence.
- Ability to present complex information to a variety of audiences (ranging from subject matter experts to the general public) by utilizing a variety of formats (written articles, oral presentations, etc.)
- Ability to gather information by examining records and documents and by questioning and observing individuals.
- Ability to maintain accurate records, to assemble items of information according to established procedures, to compile statistical data, and to prepare general reports.
- Ability to prepared and use charts, graphs and tables.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment, and especially to exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
- Ability to deal tactfully with others and to resolve personnel conflicts effectively.
- Ability to work successfully, both as part of a larger group and independently.
- Ability to perform duties efficiently under tight deadlines, and to administer competing priorities during such situations.
To view full job posting or to apply, please click here.