Title: Environmental Health Inspector II – Code Enforcement Lead Inspector
Organization: Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Brief Summary of Position:
The Code Enforcement Lead Inspector will have primary responsibility for enforcing the Lead Law in homes of lead poisoned children and other children under age 6. The Code Enforcement Lead Inspector will also be responsible for monitoring lead inspections conducted by private lead inspectors. This will involve responding to complaints, conducting field inspections to determine compliance with regulations, and reviewing private inspection records/files. The Code Enforcement Lead Inspector will coordinate and/or provide training and technical assistance to local health departments and code enforcement personnel in all aspects of enforcing Ch. 111, ss. 190-199 and 105 CMR 460.000.
Please note the position requires a valid Massachusetts Class 3 motor vehicle license and access to a motor vehicle.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Conducts field inspections of dwellings, day care centers, other settings and soil or other lead hazards as necessary.
- Counsels parents and monitors the lead paint removal process and coordinates with other agencies to provide safe alternative housing during deleading.
- Conducts title searches and initiates court proceedings in cases of non-compliance
- Effectively prosecutes cases of non-compliance in district and housing courts, both independently and cooperatively with program managers and Special Assistant Attorneys General.
- Writes reports on all violations, complaints and inspections and maintains filing system of records and reports. Enters all required information into electronic database.
- Develops training and educational materials to be used by public and private agencies to organize educational workshops and seminars on the subject of childhood lead poisoning prevention.
- Provides training and technical assistance to local boards of health, code enforcement departments, housing authorities, etc. in conducting lead paint inspections, enforcing lead poisoning prevention laws and regulations and monitoring lead paint abatement.
- Conducts field inspections and investigates complaints regarding lead paint inspections to determine if there are violations of regulatory or licensing standards.
- Conducts periodic reviews and evaluations of lead inspectors.
- Conducts routine auditing of environmental paperwork for the weekly data submissions to ensure completeness, and accuracy.
- Responds to requests for technical assistance from housing agencies, code enforcement agencies, realtor associations and community service organizations.
- Maintains filing system of records and reports and up-to-date electronic case management
- Possession of a valid and current Massachusetts Lead Inspector License.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of equipment used for the measurement of pollutant levels of air, water, soil, etc.
- Knowledge of the field techniques used in collecting samples of pollutants.
- Knowledge of field techniques used in measuring pollutant levels.
- Knowledge of the calibration and/or adjustment techniques as applied to pollution control equipment.
- Knowledge of inspection techniques as applied to pollution control.
- Skill in operating the measuring and testing equipment used in environmental protection work.
- Ability to analyze and determine the applicability of environmental data, to draw conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to understand and apply the laws, rules, policies and procedures governing assigned unit activities.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to adapt to varying work situations.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to communicate effectively in oral expression and in writing.
- Ability to prepare general reports.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as plans, equipment operating manuals, specifications, layouts, blueprints, test results, technical manuals, etc.
To view full job posting or to apply, please click here.