Title: Deputy Director for Healthy Youth and Violence & Injury Prevention
Organization: Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Brief Summary of Position:
Duties & Responsibilities: The Deputy Bureau Director is responsible for leading work in the following areas:
- Sexual & Domestic Violence Prevention & Services
- Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner Program
- Child and Youth Violence Prevention
- Suicide Prevention
- Unintentional Injury Prevention
- Sexual & Reproductive Health
- School Health
- School-Based Health Centers
- Adolescent Health & Youth Development
- Applicants that have 7 years relevant work experience in Public Health or related field (at least 3 in management).
- Master’s level training in public health, public policy, health assessment or a related field, preferred.
- Prefer candidates with at least 5 years of experience directing the planning, implementation, coordination, administration, monitoring and evaluation of a comprehensive health program or major initiative, with full responsibility for managing staff, resources and activities.
- Knowledge and experience addressing several of the public health areas listed above.
- Ability and experience to analyze policy recommendations and propose changes consistent with the public health role and mission as well as to develop and implement policy strategies.
- Experience managing diverse staff.
- An understanding of social determinants of health and a structural analysis of social determinants of health that impact individuals’ ability to be healthy, including race and racism.
Leadership & Collaboration:
- Leadership and communication skills with experience establishing strong relationships and strategic partnerships with diverse internal and external constituents, stakeholders, and groups.
- Ability to demonstrate leadership at state and national level; deputy director will represent the Commissioner as well as the Bureau Director at a variety of advisory groups and other settings.
Systems Design, Program/Policy Development & Implementation:
- Ability to assess, prioritize, design, implement and improve high-quality comprehensive programs and policies across a continuum that includes upstream prevention, systems redesign, and direct services.
- Foster creative program planning to leverage resources.
- Proven record of success in program development, policy analysis and development, and project management.
Staff Development & Management:
- Demonstrated ability in supervising senior staff as well as commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Ability to support and empower managers to develop strong teams, including performance appraisal, employee coaching/training/development, supporting managers in union environment and performance management.
- General understanding of and commitment to health equity, including racial equity, and addressing social determinants of health.
- Ability to provide leadership to change policies and systems to address health inequities and racial justice and insure the inclusion of a social determinants of health framework.
To view full job posting or to apply, please click here.