Title: Environmental Analyst I – Regular
Organization: The Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Brief Summary of Position:
The Environmental Analyst I will assist with a variety of toxicology-related research tasks and coordinate activities for human health risk assessments in support of the Environmental Toxicology Program in the Bureau of Environmental Health (BEH). The incumbent will analyze data, assist with coordinating meetings, prepare draft reports or other documents, and perform related duties as required for evaluating public health data that includes: environmental exposure, biomonitoring, fish toxics, air pollution, and microbial pollution.
This position will support the Translational Toxicology Section and the Environmental Toxicology Program Director in developing evidenced-based health assessment tools for systematic integration into program, bureau, and department activities. She/he will be responsible for working collaboratively with ETP staff to ensure that technical work-products from programmatic activities are developed into cross-program tools that prevent, mitigate, or educate stakeholders about the adverse effects of chemical exposures (e.g., environmental and biological contaminant monitoring, recreational water quality, medical use of marijuana testing, pesticide use/registration, health impact assessment, etc.). This individual will work closely with the Section Leader and the ETP Director to provide technical support to the MDPH Bureau of Health Care Safety and Quality’s Medical Use of Marijuana Program as well as senior MDPH officials. The incumbent will be responsible for working within defined timelines and project scopes and is expected to assist in the preparation of high quality technical reports and presentations.
Candidates are expected to have familiarity with the regulatory risk assessment process as well as the practice of public health. The individual should have experience managing data using database applications (e.g., Microsoft Access) and performing quantitative analyses using statistical software (e.g., SAS, R, SPSS).
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible conducting reviews of environmental data for possible public health concerns.
- Assist with the management of large volumes of study data.
- Perform site inspections to identify potential environmental hazards and pathways of exposure.
- Assist with the organization of meetings with project staff and senior management.
- Conduct scientific literature reviews.
- Evaluate readily available toxicology data.
- Represent MDPH/BEH at required internal or external meetings on toxicology or related topics as needed.
- Prepare high quality draft technical reports on toxicology findings.
- Analyze environmental data relevant to toxicology, e.g., site specific environmental data.
- Summarize environmental exposure data and compare results to known toxicity thresholds and population background levels.
- Assist with the preparation of detailed and accurate draft technical reports summarizing environmental or biological exposure data and produce educational materials summarizing technical issues for a variety of audiences.
- Assemble and review scientific research and findings related to environmental toxicology areas.
- Interpret and critique study reports and prepare summaries for review by supervisor and senior management.
- Conduct telephone inquiries of the general public regarding environmental toxicology related topics.
- Provide technical support to other BEH or MDPH programs.
- Knowledge of basic risk assessment, toxicology, epidemiology, and statistical principles.
- Strong writing skills with an ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Experience in public health research and analysis.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to understand and explain to lay audiences information contained in technical environmental public health documents.
- Knowledge of a variety of computer software programs (e.g., MS Word, Access, Excel, Power Point).
- Familiarity with statistical software (e.g., R, SAS, SPSS).
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
To view full job posting or to apply please, click here.
First consideration will be given to those applicants that apply within the first 14 days.