Title: Health Care Facility Surveyor – Long Term Care
Organization: The Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Brief Summary of Position:
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health is seeking qualified individuals dedicated to public health, quality of life and safety to conduct surveys within Massachusetts nursing homes, hospitals and other health care facilities, and review inspection findings. Individuals will play a vital role ensuring our nursing homes, hospitals and other health care facilities comply with all state and federal regulations. Ideal candidates will have a current and valid registration as a professional nurse under the Massachusetts Board of Registration in Nursing, experience working in a health care setting and an understanding of regulations and policies that apply to nursing homes, hospitals and other health care facilities in Massachusetts.
This posting is for two (2) open positions within the Division of Health Care Licensure and Certification
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspects hospitals, nursing homes, and other health care facilities statewide for compliance with applicable laws, rules and regulations of the Department of Public Health and related agencies.
- Conducts complaint investigations and recertification surveys of health care facilities and services to ensure services are provided in compliance with regulations for certification, state licensure as well as state and federal laws.
- Conducts after hours on-site monitoring of problem facilities/services to assure the health and safety of patients in the event of emergencies or other situations of jeopardy.
- Gathers evidence and documents deficient practice, as identified, in a statement of deficiencies.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of services in health care facilities and applies findings to the planning and development of future programs for such facilities and services.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of nursing.
- Knowledge of the terminology and standard abbreviations used in nursing.
- Knowledge of the problems in providing nursing services to special client groups as the mentally, physically and/or emotionally handicapped.
- Knowledge of the custodial care problems (personal hygiene, feeding etc.) of special client groups such as the blind, the hearing impaired, handicapped, etc.
- Knowledge of the standard nursing methods and techniques followed in the administration of medication and application of medical and/or surgical dressings.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of equipment used in providing custodial or nursing care.
- Knowledge of the types and characteristics of drugs used in providing nursing care.
- Knowledge of the methods of preparing medical mixtures and solutions including analysis and irrigation solutions.
- Knowledge of the sanitation and sterilization methods, techniques, procedures, equipment and devices used in a medical facility.
- Knowledge of the methods used in the evaluation of nursing practices.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of health care administration.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft software products, including Outlook, Word and Excel.
To view full job posting or to apply please, click here.