Title: Health Agent
Organization: Town of Kingston
Brief Summary of Position:
The Health Agent serves as chief officer of the Board of Health responsible for the planning, managing and promotion of public health and environmental protection programs in accordance with local, state and applicable federal regulations. The employee is required to perform all similar or related duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for oversight of the Health Department operations and programs, trains staff, reviews work of consultants, monitors and evaluate staff performance.
- Prepares Board of Health meeting agendas, informational packets, attends meetings and is responsible for follow-up correspondence and enforcement.
- Responsible for conducting inspections and site evaluations; as-built, application and relevant document reviews including preparation of detailed inspection reports.
- Responsible for the enforcement of Federal, State and local regulations pertaining to public health and safety, and environmental protection including but not limited to Title 5 State Environmental Code, State and Federal Food Code, State Sanitary Code, Minimum Standards for Bathing Beaches, , Tobacco Control Regulations, Private Well Regulations, Body Art Regulations, State Swimming Pool Regulations, Tanning Facility Regulations, and any other regulations adopted by the Kingston Board of Health.
- Represents the Town/Board of Health on and attends State, County and Local Boards and Committees.
- Performs on-call duty in conjunction with emergency response, communicable disease, public health hazards, rabies response and other health-related issues.
- Prepares reports and conducts complaint investigations and prepares enforcement orders, correction letters, certificates of compliance, and support documents for possible action by the Town’s Board of Health or the courts.
- Develops, implements and exercises emergency response plans in accordance with the Town’s Emergency Management Director and the Department of Public Health
- Investigate reports of infectious/communicable disease, food borne illness and enforces Isolation and Quarantine in conjunction with the Town’s Visiting Nurses Association Contract.
- Drafts and revises local public health regulations and operating practices and routinely communicates with all town departments as well as state and federal regulatory agencies as necessary.
- Attends work-related training programs and seminars as required in order to maintain certifications and licenses as required by the Town and/or the State as well as to stay abreast of changes in the provision of public health services, techniques and laws.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Public Health or a related field; at least three (3) years prior work experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Position requires the employee to have a valid Class D Motor Vehicle Operator’s license; Preferred to be a Registered Environmental Helath Specialist / Registered Sanitarian REHS / RS credentials, Must be a certified Soil Evaluator / Inspector, Food Protection Manager, As a condition of employment, the employee must be CORI certified.
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills
- Knowledge: Working knowledge of the principles and practices of public health, and applicable federal, state and local codes, laws, regulations, and by-laws pertaining to public health and safety and environmental protection. Knowledge of communicable disease control and investigation. Knowledge of environmental protection, and water protection.
- Abilities: Supervise staff, prepare and administer budgets, policies and procedures. Ability to interpret and enforce regulations or laws in an impartial manner and to deal with disgruntled members of the public in a tactful manner; ability to conduct thorough inspections, read and interpret building construction plans or blueprints; ability to prioritize work, and to perform multiple tasks in a detailed, organized, and timely manner.
- Skills: Proficient written and oral communication skills, attention to detail, and computer skills are required.
- Physical Skills: Work requires some agility and physical strength, such as moving in or about construction sites or over rough terrain, or standing or walking most of the work period. Occasionally, the employee is required to lift, push, or pull objects or department equipment and carry them. There also may be a need for the employee to be able to stretch and reach in order to retrieve materials or equipment.
- Motor Skills: Duties involve assignments requiring the application of hand and eye coordination with finger dexterity and motor coordination in order to stretch, reach, or retrieve department materials, to operate a motor vehicle, or a personal computer.
- Visual/Auditory Skills: The employee is required to constantly read documents, personal computer screens and written reports for general understanding and routinely for analytical purposes. The employee must have the auditory ability to listen and comprehend. The employee is regularly required to determine color differences.
Qualified applicants should complete the Town of Kingston employment application found on the Town website under Human Resources and submit their résumé. Please include a cover letter with salary expectations. Application materials can be emailed to email@example.com, mailed to the Town of Kingston Town House Attn: Human Resources, or hand delivered. Annual salary range $53,144 – $68,766; this is a Grade S-6 position on the Town’s Wage and Personnel ByLaws, with 8 Steps within this range. The Town of Kingston is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Original job posting can be found here.