Title: Bacteriologist III, Food and Dairy Laboratories – Bureau of Infectious Disease & Laboratory Sciences, JP Campus
Organization: The Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Brief Summary of Position:
The Massachusetts State Public Health Laboratory is seeking a qualified candidate to work and oversee testing in the Food and Dairy Laboratories in the Environmental Microbiology Laboratory Section of the State Public Health Lab. The ideal candidate will have a background in Environmental Microbiology, including knowledge of Food and Drug Administration (FDA) food testing procedures, FDA dairy testing procedures, and ISO 17025. The candidate will have the opportunity to collaborate with state partners in Epidemiology and Environmental Health, as well as federal partners at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) and FDA as a member of the Massachusetts Working Group on Foodborne Illness Control (WGFIC) and the National Food Emergency Response Network (FERN). The Bacteriologist III will achieve and maintain FDA certification for dairy product analysis, and also work closely with the Laboratory Supervisors and Quality Assurance Division to ensure compliance and ongoing accreditation to the ISO 17025 standard. In line with the mission of the Department of Public Health, this work will assist in ensuring a safe food supply and reducing illness from foodborne pathogens for the citizens of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Testing food samples related to foodborne outbreak investigations.
- Testing milk and milk products for quality indicators such as total bacterial count, and evidence of antibiotic inhibitors, and evidence of proper pasteurization.
- Testing food samples as part of a routine surveillance program.
- Collaborating and communicating with the Environmental Microbiology Laboratory Supervisor and the dairy lab liaison to the Bureau of Environmental Health Food Protection Program to discuss and plan analyst’s schedules and daily assignments of staff.
- Peer review of bench sheets and results prior to reporting.
- Ensuring quality control metrics are met and reviewed by the laboratory supervisor.
- Managing samples and results and reporting to the laboratory supervisor and division director during foodborne outbreak investigations.
- FDA certified in testing of milk and milk products
- Experience with FDA BAM food testing methods
- Experience with USDA MLG food testing methods
- Experience with ISO 17025
- Knowledge of molecular biology techniques and best practices
To view full job posting or to apply please, click here.