Title: Program Manager VII, Director of Policy and Health Communications – Bureau of Health Care Safety & Quality
Organization: The Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Brief Summary of Position:
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Bureau of Health Care Safety and Quality is seeking a qualified individual dedicated to public health, quality of life and safety to direct the planning, analysis, development, and implementation of health communications, policies and regulations for health care facilities, services and providers throughout Massachusetts. The Director of Policy and Health Communications works with senior leadership and other program communications staff to shape the overall strategic direction of Bureau communications and to develop and maintain an overarching communications plan for the Bureau that aligns with Bureau and Department goals.
This role involves developing new regulations and policies, analyzing legislation and developing legislative testimony, and analyzing and reporting on health care data to address changing needs in the health care system. The Director works with the Bureau’s senior leadership team to shape the overall strategic direction of health communications for the Bureau. The ideal candidate will have experience working in public health administration, a thorough understanding of the Massachusetts regulatory and legislative process and experience with communications planning.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directs the planning, analysis, development, and implementation of policies and regulations for health care facilities, services and providers throughout Massachusetts.
- Supports Bureau initiatives around health planning and responses to health care reform legislation.
- Develops and maintains an overarching communications plan for the Bureau that aligns with Bureau and Department goals.
- Works with agencies and boards to coordinate reporting of data and assessment of measures with health care quality, regulatory impact and public reporting.
- Represents the Bureau before the Public Health Council, ad hoc and standing advisory committees, and other entities as required.
- Oversights of, and participation in, pertinent boards and commissions. Ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements including, but not limited to, open meeting law requirements.
- Coordinates bureau responses to the state fiscal year budget and amendment process.
- The Director of Policy and Health Communications must be extremely knowledgeable in the following areas:
- Public health administration
- Medical care systems and organization
- Massachusetts regulatory and legislative process
- State and federal regulations governing health care facilities
- Communications planning
- The ideal candidate will possess a Master’s Degree in public health, public policy or a JD. Candidate should have demonstrated ability to:
- Establish clear goals, develop plans to achieve them and execute implementation.
- Work under specified deadlines in a dynamic environment.
- Effectively delegate to meet changing agency needs and priorities.
- Conduct or participate in legal research, interpret statutes, regulations, sub-regulatory documents and case law and prepare legal briefs and statutory, regulatory and sub-regulatory proposals.
- Communicate clearly, concisely, logically, accurately and persuasively in written, verbal and visual formats in internal, external and public settings.
- Effectively supervise staff, including assigning and reviewing work, monitoring progress and evaluating performance.
To view full job posting or to apply please, click here.