Title: Ambulance Service Inspector
Organization: The Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Brief Summary of Position:
This is an essential position that functions to ensure public safety and state law compliance through the inspection of ambulance services. This position reviews, inspects and recommends certification of vehicles for ambulance service providers, and investigates complaints against ambulance services and EMT’s as well as accredited EMT training institutions. The Ambulance Service Inspector provides technical assistance to the Department regarding policy development and evaluation of compliance with the EMS statute, EMS System regulations, the Statewide Treatment Protocols and EMT training.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as the DPH Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS) inspector for ambulance services, and other EMS personnel and entities certified or licensed by OEMS.
- Provides consultation and technical assistance to state agencies, municipal entities and other organizations interested in becoming licensed as ambulance services or EMS First Response (EFR) services.
- Conducts inspections, investigations and interviews; writes inspection reports and complaint reports, when warranted, issues compliance orders and letters relating to ambulance service licensure deficiencies.
- Reviews patient care reports, summary data, affiliation agreements, EMS personnel certifications and training documents, staffing patterns, accident and incident reports at inspections. Reports trends in violations of the EMS statute, EMS System regulations, and the Statewide Treatment Protocols.
- Assists the Department in review and recommendations of EMS-related activities, such as waivers, equipment recommendations and reviews, etc.
- Assists DPH Drug Control Program to ensure compliance.
- Provides technical assistance and support with ambulance and EFR services, Federal, state, and local officials during times of strikes, nursing home closures, natural disasters, etc.
- Reviews service zone plan applications and provides technical assistance to the Department on implementation of service zone planning.
- Provides feedback for suitability of applicants for ambulance service licensure.
- Monitors compliance plans of correction as assigned and remediation.
- Consults on implementation and evaluation of continuous quality improvement programs for ambulance and EFR services.
- Possession of a current, valid Massachusetts Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
- Four years of full-time or equivalent part-time, professional experience as a
- Paramedic for a Massachusetts licensed ambulance service and a currently certified
- Paramedic in Massachusetts in good standing with OEMS.
- Experience as an EMS Instructor.
- Experience in inspections and investigations.
- Ability to establish rapport, deal tactfully, and maintain harmonious working relationships with persons from varied ethnic, cultural and/or economic backgrounds.
- Ability to plan and conduct training or instruction.
- Ability to maintain accurate records.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office software products (Word, Excel, Access databases)
To view full job posting or to apply please, click here.