Title: Director, Bureau of Health Care Safety & Quality
Organization: The Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Brief Summary of Position:
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) is seeking a dynamic and strategic public health administrator to oversee all administrative, regulatory, programmatic, policy, communication and operational needs for the Bureau of Health Care Safety and Quality (BHCSQ) while ensuring alignment with the mission, goals and priorities of DPH. As a member of the DPH senior management team, the Director is involved in promoting organizational effectiveness/efficiency and facilitating collaborative problem solving and decision-making across Bureau programs and operational decision-making. This position is charged with advancing the mission of BHCSQ: To promote, preserve, and protect the health of everyone in the Commonwealth and to strive to achieve an optimal health care delivery system that ensures safe, effective, high-quality care for all.
BHCSQ includes the Division of Health Care Facilities, Survey Operations and Certification, Licensure, and Complaints; Division of Policy and Regulatory Affairs; Division of Strategic Initiatives; Division of Clinical Quality Improvement; Office of Emergency Medical Services; and Medical Use of Marijuana. Please note that the Bureau Director will oversee the transition of the Medical Use of Marijuana unit to the Massachusetts Cannabis Control Commission up until December 31, 2018.
The qualified applicant possesses not only the professional and managerial experience to lead both the regulatory, risk and compliance efforts, but also the personal and interpersonal characteristics needed to be successful in ensuring effective delivery of services with a high degree of efficiency. He/she will communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders, work well under pressure, have practical knowledge of state and federal government regulatory scheme, and have practical knowledge and experience in the frameworks of health care patient safety and quality of care best practices.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide oversight, guidance and approval to ensure the delivery of high quality care to patients in the Commonwealth
- As the manager of the state agency for Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), monitor federal statutes and regulations to license and certify health facilities to ensure compliance and statutory and regulatory requirements are met
- Serve as a leader that has a strong understanding of Massachusetts health care including experience with and knowledge of state and federal regulations related to long term care, hospitals, clinics, hospices, home health agencies, rehabilitation facilities, ambulatory surgical centers, and emergency medical service providers;
- Engage in public health policy discussions and provide expert analysis and direction for programmatic efforts and evaluate program measurement, monitoring and reporting requirements
- Monitor and provide expert analysis and recommendations to state initiatives that will have impact to BHCSQ’s licensed providers; ensure compliance and statutory requirements are met
- Champion new regulations and policies by analyzing legislative mandates and developing expert analysis, implementation plans, stakeholder strategy plans and execution; collaborate with other DPH bureaus/offices and other EOHHS agencies to achieve goals
- Analyze and report on health care data to address changing needs in the health care continuum across the commonwealth, i.e. serious reportable events, health care associated infections, etc.
- Present draft regulations and/or provide informational briefings on health care initiatives to the Public Health Council
- Direct and oversee an efficient and effective system for the provision of services while developing strategy and utilizing strategic project management tools to implement business process improvements for programs and staff
- Design and implement Bureau interdisciplinary program planning, development, integration, coordination, cross-functioning, linkage, communications and policy setting processes
- Serve on the Commissioner’s extended leadership team; represent DPH at meetings with providers, constituents, state and federal government officials and other key stakeholders
- Manage, develop and implement effective stakeholder strategies and promote a culture of transparency and inclusion
- Coordinate and assess the need for additional organizational improvement via strong workforce development, succession planning, staff development, employee satisfaction and engagement, performance and career advancement
- At least seven (7) years’ experience directing the planning, implementation, coordination, administration, monitoring and evaluation of a comprehensive health care safety and quality program or division, with full responsibility for managing staff, resources and activities
- Knowledge, through understanding and basic ability to read and understand applicable health care related Massachusetts General Laws, Code of Massachusetts Regulations, United States Code (Code of Laws of the United States of America) and CMS Regulations
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of health care quality, professional licensure, patient safety as well as project management and program evaluation
- Competence in data analysis, quality improvement, surveillance processes and the ability to interpret data
- Ability to prioritize work, adjust to multiple demands and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities
- Proven record of success in project management, with a particular focus on establishment of quality standards, results tracking, and evaluating outcomes
- Skilled in establishing excellent working relationships and strategic partnering with various internal and external constituents, stakeholders, providers and groups
- Basic principles of management, including business writing, budgeting and cost-allocation
- Demonstrated ability to supervise staff including performance appraisal, employee coaching/training/development, and performance management
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook and Word
To view full job posting or to apply please, click here.