Title: Sr Healthcare Data Analyst
Organization: UMass Medical School
Brief Summary of Position:
Under the general direction of Clinical Analytics or designee, the Sr. Healthcare Data Analyst needs to be insightful, detail-oriented professional with excellent analytical skills who is able to apply that skill set to data analysis, data mining and data management within a medically-oriented, dynamic analytic team.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct advanced data mining as required by the program.
- Leads analyses and produces standard reports using healthcare claims data which support the development, implementation, and monitoring of various MassHealth programs.
- Manipulates and builds large datasets from claims and encounter data to support analyses through use of efficient SAS/SQL code
- Utilizes strong analytic consulting skills, and a customer service focus in order to design and deliver analytic projects to client specifications
- Assists in the use of qualitative and quantitative analysis techniques
- Utilize and create testing measures to analyze large amounts of data
- Create algorithms to test and analyze multiple, large databases
- Develop analyses and present information using various tools including SAS, Business Objects, SQL and Cognos and MS Office.
- Independently identify and report data patterns and abnormalities
- Provide analysis of key metrics and data trends.
- Demonstrate exceptional analytic and problem-solving skills
- Test, track and monitor data for quality, integrity and trend analysis
- Merge multiple databases and data sources to produce answers to complex business questions
- Demonstrates attention to detail and delivers quality work products
- Bachelor’s degree in healthcare, health business administration, public health, public policy, statistics or similar discipline; or equivalent.
- 5 years related or equivalent experience with proficiency in Medical Claims Analysis, Financial Data Analysis, and/or Transaction-Based Data Analysis
- Advanced knowledge of data mining software tools such as SAS, SQL, BO, Cognos or similar
- Advanced SAS/SQL programming skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office Applications
- Ability to merge multiple databases and data sources to produce answers to complex business questions
- Familiarity with coding systems (i.e., CPT, ICD9, ICD10) and hospital billing systems (DRGs).
- Demonstrates intellectual curiosity, takes initiative and focuses on continuous improvement
- Ability to learn quickly and multi-task in a fast-paced, work environment
- Ability to communicate verbally and in writing in English in a clear, professional manner
- Ability to travel between locations
- Master’s degree in a public policy, public administration, economics, health care administration, epidemiology, statistics, or a related field.
- Strong critical thinking skills.
- Previous work experience managing or mentoring junior analysts.
To view full job posting or to apply please, click here.