Title: Epidemiologist II
Organization: The Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Brief Summary of Position:
The Massachusetts Department of Public Health is seeking a qualified individual dedicated to public health, quality of life and safety to provide guidance for analytical and evaluation activities and to conduct epidemiological and statistical analyses of data to determine trends. The Data Analyst will recommend standards and conduct data quality assurance and control; and will also provide epidemiological criteria for generation of unsolicited reports to providers for purposes of quality improvement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides guidance for Division of Quality Improvement data analysis, research, evaluation, and quality improvement activities.
- Conducts epidemiological and statistical analyses of state and federal databases to determine trends, incidence and prevalence of medical and non-medical topics.
- Recommends standards for, and assists in the conduct of, data quality assurance and control.
- Prepares and presents descriptive, statistical and epidemiological reports to internal and external audiences.
Conducts computer-based data analysis using SAS, R, Access, Excel, and ArcView / GIS.
- Prepares and presents evidence-based analyses to inform the development of regulations and policies.
- Provides supervision to professional staff; assesses employee performance and guides employee professional development.
- Ability to analyze and determine applicability of epidemiological data, to draw conclusions and make appropriate recommendations.
- Ability to make effective oral presentations.
- Ability to prepare statistical reports.
- Knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations governing licensed healthcare entities.
- Knowledge of the principles and practice of research methodologies.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of data quality assurance and control.
- Knowledge of the principles and techniques of auditing of data transactions.
- Knowledge of geographic information systems (experience using ArcInfo/ArcView preferred).
- Ability to assess data quality.
- Ability to write effective technical reports for medical, scientific and lay audiences.
- Extensive experience surveillance and research in public health.
- Extensive experience in data analysis (using SAS/R) and in applying analysis and research to policy development in public health.
- Master’s or Doctorate in public health, epidemiology, economics, health sector management or related field with at least five years of relevant experience.
To view full job posting or to apply please, click here.