Title: Education Director
Organization: Groundwork Lawrence
Brief Summary of Position:
GWL is seeking an Education Director to lead, implement and grow a variety of youth, family and group education programs. The Education Director provides overall leadership, development, management, and evaluation of GWL’s education programs. The position currently supervises and collaborates with an education coordinator, 2 AmeriCorps members, and temporary seasonal staff and interns. Reporting to the Executive Director, this position plays a key leadership role both internally and externally and directly manages staff, outcomes, and collaborative efforts with local, state, and national partners, as well as the GWUSA Network, especially other Mass-based Groundwork organizations. The Education Director hires, trains, manages, and develops program staff to deliver top quality environmental and public health education programming, teaches, and is a member of GWL’s executive staff.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the implementation of a long-term programmatic vision that builds upon GWL’s strengths and increases its capacity to address emerging needs of the community, including Lawrence Public School’s Turn-Around Plan.
- Direct the ongoing development, management, and implementation of GWL’s in-school and out of school youth education programs and their intended, measurable outcomes.
- Lead the education team in developing and successfully implementing Pre-K through high school STEM, schoolyard garden, environment, and healthy living curriculum designed to promote social-emotional learning and cultivate healthy eating, fitness, and environmental awareness.
- Maintain and grow key school and local partnerships.
- Manage and assist with implementation of vacation and summer education programs in partnership with schools, Lawrence Parks and Recreation Dept., and other community organizations.
- In partnership with the Community Engagement Team, provide oversight in the program development and implementation of Green Team: a year-round youth employment and leadership program that incorporates environmental and public health education, stewardship, leadership skills, and job training
- Ensure that programs are integrated, build upon organizational strengths, and support existing open space and environmental improvement projects, increase fresh food access, and support community engagement.
- Supervise and professionally support program staff.
- Participate regularly in community events and collaborations.
- Participate in GWL projects, community programs, and events including Earth Day, Spicket River Cleanup, SALSA/Kite Festival, GWL Greenway 5K and Glow Gala.
- Collaborate with local colleagues and organizations to implement new and existing programs.
- Assume other responsibilities, as needed.
- Must share a passion for Groundwork’s values and mission;
- Must be experienced working in multi-cultural, inclusive settings;
- Bachelor’s Degree in education or related field;
- 3-5 years management experience ;
- Advanced training and/or work experience in youth education/development, environmental studies, urban agriculture, public health, nonprofit management, and/or related fields;
- Experience as a leader with overall responsibility for program success;
- Experience in planning, designing, teaching, and evaluating education programs;
- Experience with curriculum development and familiarity with MA State Curriculum Frameworks;
- Experience in supervisory and non-supervisory staff management;
- Demonstrated outstanding organizational skills along with strong oral and written communication skills and excellent interpersonal skills;
- Basic computer skills: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint;
- Be a self-starter and work well independently, as well as value collaboration;
- Ability to balance competing priorities and deadlines while staying nimble and open to new opportunities;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with colleagues.
- Master’s Degree in Education or related field;
- Experience with training programs and evaluation tools;
- Experience with fundraising including grant writing and reporting;
- Subject expertise in environmental/ecological studies, STEM, urban agriculture, public health, and/or related fields;
- Experience working with/within school districts;
- Bilingual/ability to communicate in Spanish.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit letter of interest describing your relevant experience and interest in Groundwork Lawrence along with your resume by October 27 to: Groundwork Lawrence, Attn: Human Resources, 50 Island Street, Suite 101, Lawrence, MA 01840, fax: (978) 974-0882, or firstname.lastname@example.org.