Title: Bacteriologist II
Organization: The Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Brief Summary of Position:
In this role you will have the opportunity to collaborate with state partners in Epidemiology and Environmental Health, as well as federal partners at CDC, USDA and FDA. You will be a member of the Massachusetts Working Group on Foodborne Illness Control and the National Food Emergency Response Network, as well as certified by the FDA for dairy product analysis. You will work closely with the Laboratory Supervisors and Quality Assurance Division to ensure compliance and ongoing accreditation to the ISO 17025 standard. In line with the mission of the Department of Public Health, your work will assist in ensuring a safe food supply and reducing illness from foodborne pathogens for the citizens of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
The Massachusetts State Public Health Laboratory is seeking a qualified candidate to work in the Food and Dairy Laboratory Section. The ideal candidate will have knowledge of FDA food testing procedures, FDA dairy testing procedures, and ISO 17025 accreditation. In this position, the ideal candidate will be responsible for:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Testing food samples related to foodborne outbreak investigations
- Testing milk and milk products for quality indicators such as total bacterial count, and evidence of antibiotic inhibitors, and evidence of proper pasteurization.
- Testing food samples as part of a routine surveillance program.
- Knowledge of the proper methods of disposing of contaminated laboratory materials
- Knowledge of the types and uses of sterilization equipment and devices used in a laboratory
- Knowledge of the properties and characteristics of chemicals, acids, materials, etc. used in a laboratory
- Knowledge of general laboratory testing procedures including sample collection
- Knowledge of the techniques for the handling and transportation of specimens
- Ability to analyze and determine the applicability of bacteriological data, to draw conclusions and make appropriate recommendations
- Ability to exercise sound judgment; ability to work independently; ability to prepare technical reports
To view full job posting or to apply please, click here