Title: Epidemiologist I
Organization: Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Brief Summary of Position:
The Epidemiologist I works with the School Based Health Center (SBHC) program to update and maintain an ACCESS database for the collection of clinical utilization data, and also works with contracted sites to clean data submissions and summarize data for purposes of analysis. The incumbent of this position will develop analytic reports to inform programmatic decisions, and follows the guidance of programmatic and evaluation staff to conduct a program evaluation of the School Based Health Center (SBHC). Also, the Epidemiologist I works with the Oral Health program to analyze local administrative data, BRFSS, Hospitalization Data, and medical claims through the All-Payer Claims Database to evaluate the impact of MDPH programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Analyze data received and interpret findings.
- Design, develop and write analytical reports to inform policy decisions.
- Enhance and troubleshoot existing School-based health center program database (*knowledge of SQL and VBA required)
- Provide ACCESS database and data entry technical assistance to site staff.
- Create automated and custom reports to be run by staff or vendors in the ACCESS database.
- Receive and track monthly data submissions and run cleaning reports.
- Respond to ad hoc data requests from SBHC program, contracted vendors and advocates.
- Provide data quality assurance on existing surveillance and survey data.
- Perform computer runs using SAS, for epidemiologic analysis and file linkage of large data files.
- Assist senior epidemiologist/evaluator to investigate the association between health issues and educational outcomes, as well as the association between oral health issues and MDPH initiatives.
- Assist senior epidemiologist/evaluator to monitor program implementation and evaluate process and program outcomes.
- Participate in generating reports from statewide surveillance systems such as the Massachusetts Behavioral Risk Factor Survey Study (BRFSS) and the Massachusetts Youth Health Survey (YHS).
- Prepare statistical reports on findings based on research conducted for interdepartmental, external public-oriented, and professional publications
- Assist with overall program evaluation.
- Support program staff with data, quality assurance, power point presentations and related program needs.
- Review professional journals, health bulletins, and other publications to keep infomed of current trends and new knowledge in the field of obesity prevention and control.
- Perform other duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS PREFERRED AT HIRE:
- Knowledge of univariate and multivariate statistical procedures and statistical report writing.
- Knowledge of database organization and the proper format and procedure for assembling items of information.
- Ability to use Microsoft Office products like Access and Excel.
- Ability to write code in SAS, SPSS, STATA, or other statistical package.
- Ability to develop logical flow charts and to write simple programming code.
- 75% state paid medical insurance premium
- Reasonable Dental and Vision Plans
- Flexible Spending Account and Dependent Care Assistance programs
- Low cost basic and optional life insurance
- Retirement Savings: State Employees’ Pension and a Deferred Compensation 457(b) plan
- 11 paid holidays per year and competitive Sick, Vacation and Personal Time
- Tuition Remission for employee and spouse at state colleges and universities
- Short-Term Disability and Extended Illness program participation options
- Incentive-based Wellness Programs
- Professional Development and Continuing Education opportunities
- Qualified Employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Submit an application here