Title: Membership and Event Planning Intern
Organization: Massachusetts Public Health Association
Brief Summary of Position:
Background: The Massachusetts Public Health Association (MPHA) is the state’s leading voice for public health. As a statewide membership organization, we engage communities in advocacy to protect and improve the health of all the Commonwealth’s residents. Our focus is on preventing disease and injury.
Position description: The Membership and Event Planning Intern will report to the Events and Administrative Manager to support the execution of MPHA’s Annual Meeting and membership program. The intern will play a key role in data entry using Salesforce, as well as support the planning and execution of MPHA events.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Assist MPHA’s Development Director and Event and Administrative Manager with planning all aspects of the 2017 Annual Meeting which includes:
- Taking a lead role in the management of the event and membership database.
- Providing timely outreach to attendees, sponsors, donors, venue staff and vendors.
- Participating in day-of-event duties which include manning the registration table and trouble-shooting issues with the Event Manager and the venue.
- Creating promotional materials for the event.
- Facilitating internet research, written, telephone and email communications.
- Providing general administrative assistance and supporting other projects as needed.
- Experience creating and editing documents using Microsoft Word and Publisher required.
- Experience with communications in a professional environment and familiarity using Constant Contact or a similar email marketing system.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Salesforce or other database management experience preferred.
- Interest in fundraising, event planning and execution, an interest in non-profit management and a commitment to social justice are all desired.
- Minimum time commitment is one semester for 16 hours/week in person at the MPHA office: 14 Beacon St #706, Boston MA. Public Transportation is recommended.
- Intern selected for this position must be available to attend the Annual Meeting, a full-day event that will take place in Worcester on a Friday in Late October or November.
- Dependability is required.
Compensation: This is an unpaid position, with great learning and networking opportunities.
Areas where you will gain experience:
- Event planning
- Fundraising strategies
- Membership management
- Use of Salesforce
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume and two writing samples with “MPHA Membership and Event Planning Intern” in the subject line to Alexa Piacenza (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with preference given to applications received by August 15th.