Title: Director of Development
Organization: Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership
Brief Summary of Position:
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Development is responsible for creating and providing leadership to a comprehensive and cost effective fundraising program, encompassing annual giving, capital campaigns, major gifts, planned giving, special events, memorial giving, and other initiatives to attract maximum support from MBHP’s constituency of individuals, businesses, and foundations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement annual and long-range plans for annual giving, special events, major individual giving, foundation grants, corporate solicitations, and general campaigns.
- Develop an annual business plan and multi-year strategic objectives for major gift fundraising that incorporate elements of prospect identification, research, cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and recognition.
- Develop the organization’s planned giving program through identification of prospective gift sources, providing gift planning services to donors and their professional advisors (as appropriate) and conducting programs that build awareness of the financial, tax, and estate planning benefits of planned giving.
- Working with the Executive Director, provide leadership in developing the Board of Directors as a funding source and strengthening the ability of board members to participate in the identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors.
- Manage processes for identifying and researching potential sources of gift support including board members, individuals, corporations and foundations. Plan and administer efforts designed to secure funding from such sources.
- Personally participate in the ongoing cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of major gift prospects, including managing a personal portfolio of prospects and donors, as well as portfolios of board members, the Executive Director, and other members of the senior management team.
- Serve as a resource to the Board of Directors, Development Committee and any other groups engaged in fundraising activities and, with the Executive Director, approve any fundraising activity not included in the annual work plan.
- Prepare periodic and annual reports to the Executive Director and Board, contributors, and other funding sources reporting on the effectiveness and achievements of fundraising programs.
- Plan and implement annual donor cultivation and recognition events.
- Oversee the design and implementation of procedures and programs by which gifts are recorded and acknowledged, donors are recognized, and accurate financial records and files are maintained. Ensure proper acceptance, allocation and recognition of gifts in accordance with IRS and donor requirements.
- Participate in MBHP’s management team and cultivate an understanding of the organizational goals and strategies of the organization in order to effectively communicate funding priorities to donors and the general community.
- Maintain a close working relationship with the Director of Communications and Policy to ensure that development-related messages and strategies are integrated with the larger organizational messaging.
- Support the efforts of member of the management team engaged in resource development (e.g., applying for government contracts)
- Supervise Development Office staff, monitoring performance and providing ongoing feedback; support career development efforts; conduct periodic performance evaluations; conduct periodical individual and/or group staff meetings; act as resource for staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
- 10-plus years of professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in major gifts, corporate and individual giving, and monthly giving programs;
- Experience with foundation relations, grant writing, and strategic stewardship activities;
- A professional and resourceful style with the ability to work independently and as a team; ability to manage multiple tasks and projects at one time and produce superior work on deadline;
- Tangible experience of having expanded and cultivated existing donor relationships over time; demonstrated success closing five and six figure gifts;
- Ability to construct, articulate, and implement annual strategic development plan ;
- Flexible and adaptable style; a leader who can positively impact both strategic and tactical fundraising initiatives;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships;
- Strong organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail;
- High energy and passion for MBHP’s mission is essential;
- Customer and donor focus;
- High degree of comfort working in a small, fast-paced shop that encompasses a diverse, high functioning team;
- Experience working with diverse, low-income populations;
- Familiarity with the Boston and Massachusetts philanthropic community preferred; and
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters degree preferred.
- $95,000 with excellent benefits
Resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Metropolitan Boston Housing Partnership, Inc.
125 Lincoln Street, 5th Floor
Boston, MA 02111-2503 HR@mbhp.org