Title: Counsel II
Organization: MA Department of Public Health
Brief Summary of Position:
The Office of the General Counsel for the Massachusetts Department of Public Health is seeking a Deputy General Counsel to provide legal advice and guidance on regulatory and programmatic oversight of infectious disease investigation and surveillance, laboratory operations, and wholesale/retail food distribution. This attorney will also draft and review legislation and regulations; coordinate with legal support for licensure enforcement activities; provide direction on public record requests, federal and state subpoenas, and court orders; and work with counsel and staff of other government agencies as needed in connection with regulatory issues and related litigation.Qualifications:
- Knowledge of theory, principles and practices of law.
- Knowledge of the methods and ability to conduct legal research and technical report writing.
- Ability to read and interpret legal documents and apply the law, rules and regulations governing agency operations.
- Ability to exercise discretion and sound judgment.
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, to clearly and concisely express thoughts and develop ideas in a logical manner.
- Ability to use a computer to conduct research, manage databases, and produce written documents.
- Ability to exercise discretion in safeguarding information through compliance with rules of disclosure.
- Ability to work independently.
- Applicants must have a Juris Doctor (JD) degree, admission to the Massachusetts Bar and (A) at least three years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, professional experience in the practice of law.
- Incumbents may be required to have a current and valid Motor Vehicle Drivers License at a Class level specific to assignment.
Submit an application Here