Title: Council I
Organization: Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Brief Summary of Position:
The Office of the General Counsel for the Massachusetts Department of Public Health is seeking an Assistant General Counsel to represent the Department primarily before the Division of Administrative Law Appeals. Specifically, this attorney will review and evaluate evidence; draft orders to show cause initiating formal adjudicatory proceedings; draft pleadings including discovery requests and memoranda of law; and advise the Department on litigation strategies. Candidates must be a member of the Massachusetts Bar and possess some experience in legal research, writing, procedure, and processes.
- Knowledge of theory, principles and practices of law.
- Knowledge of procedures followed in courtroom and administrative proceedings.
- Knowledge of the methods and ability to conduct legal research and technical report writing.
- Ability to read and interpret legal documents and apply the law, rules and regulations governing agency operations.
- Ability to exercise discretion and sound judgment.
- Ability to interact effectively with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, to clearly and concisely express thoughts and develop ideas in a logical manner.
- Ability to use a computer to conduct research, manage databases, and produce written documents.
- Applicants must have a Juris Doctor (JD) degree, admission to the Massachusetts Bar and some experience in legal research, legal writing, and legal procedures and processes.
- Incumbents may be required to have a current and valid Motor Vehicle Drivers License at a Class level specific to assignment.
Apply online here.