Title: MPHA Membership and Event Planning Intern
Background: The Massachusetts Public Health Association (MPHA) is the state’s leading voice for public health. As a statewide membership organization, we engage communities in advocacy to protect and improve the health of all the Commonwealth’s residents. Our focus is on preventing disease and injury.
Position description: The MPHA Membership and Event Planning Intern will report to the Development Director and work closely with both the Development Director and the Events and Administrative Manager to support the execution of MPHA’s Spring Awards Breakfast and membership program. The intern will play a key role in data entry using Salesforce, as well as support the planning and execution of MPHA events. Preference is given to applicants for a February to June placement
Areas where you will gain experience:
- Event planning
- Fundraising strategies
- Membership management
- Use of Salesforce
Start Date: February 15, 2017
Roles and Responsibilities
The intern will support the planning and execution of the 2017 MPHA Spring Awards Breakfast, sponsorship prospecting and outreach, database management, and member communications. Projects will include:
- Assist MPHA’s Development Director and Event and Administrative Manager with planning all aspects of the 2017 Spring Awards Breakfast which includes:
- Taking a lead role in the management of the event and membership database.
- Providing timely outreach to attendees, sponsors, donors, venue staff and vendors.
- Participating in day-of-event duties which include manning registration table and trouble-shooting issues with the Event Manager and the venue.
- Creating timely email alerts related to events and membership activities and prep text for newsletter insertion.
- Facilitating internet research, written, telephone and email communications.
- Providing general administrative assistance and support other projects as needed.
- Experience creating and editing documents using Microsoft Word and Publisher required.
- Experience with communications in a professional environment and familiarity using Constant Contact.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Salesforce or other database management experience preferred.
- Interest in fundraising, event planning and execution, an interest in non-profit management and a commitment to social justice are all desired.
- Minimum time commitment is one semester for 16 hours/week over 2-3 days.
- Intern selected for this position must be available to attend the Spring Awards Breakfast at the State Room in Boston, on June 2nd 2017, 7:00am-11:00am.
- Ability and willingness to travel to Beacon Hill by public transportation.
- Dependability is required.
- This is an unpaid position, with great learning and networking opportunities.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume and two writing samples with “MPHA Membership and Event Planning Intern” in the subject line to Akosua Ampofo Siever (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis, with preference given to applications received by February 1, 2017.