Title: Chief Executive Officer
Organization: Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Brief Summary of the Position:
The Lemuel Shattuck Hospital is seeking a dynamic administrator for the role of Chief Executive Officer (CEO). This experienced leader will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of a 260 bed, Joint Commission accredited acute and chronic care hospital that provides comprehensive inpatient and outpatient medical, surgical and mental health care. The CEO will carry out his/her duties by adhering to the highest values of ethical and moral conduct, acts in the best interest of the organization, and fully supports the mission, vision and values of the Hospital.
- Provide strategic and overall operational leadership of the hospital including effective patientcentered care and safety, fiscal management, maintenance of licensure, vendor relations, accreditation/regulatory compliance, implementation of focused organizational development processes, and risk management
- Establish strategic vision for quality/efficiency standards in all areas of responsibility and ensure that these standards are measured and reviewed on an ongoing basis
- Participate as a member of the DPH Governing Body in the development and subsequent implementation of hospital policies, procedures and processes designed to enhance internal controls and support excellence in care across the hospital system
- Support clinical standards of practice and monitor operations consistent with Joint Commission, Centers for Medicaid/Medicare, DPH Health Care Safety and Quality, DPH Health Professions Licensure and Board of Registration in Medicine (BORIM).
- Define processes for strategic planning to ensure that the hospital remains a sustainable resource for providing services to medically complex patients.
- Champion the delivery of collaborative treatment and a patient-focused continuum of care specifically for populations impacted by substance abuse, homelessness and those incarcerated.
- Direct and coordinate activities of medical, nursing, and support services. Consult with leaders of the medical staff concerning patient care needs and allocation of resources to effectively meet those needs.
- Oversee and direct the monitoring, analysis and reporting key quality metrics; facilitate the interpretation of data and develop responsive action plans for consideration to executive team and a variety of stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain an effective system of communications throughout the hospital. Lead regular management team meetings to ensure operations are being executed in accordance with the hospital policies.
- Establish and develop partnerships with healthcare and government agencies to maximize the hospital’s potential programs/services as well as community relationship.
- Master’s level degree in public health management, hospital management, business administration or a related field;
- At least six (6) years of significant managerial experience in a healthcare organization;
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of management at the senior managerial level, including planning, budgeting, organizing, directing, motivating, controlling and decision making in the field of health care delivery;
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of organizational behavior including employee relations, staff development and human resource management;
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with physicians, staff, community members and vendors;
- Capacity to manage a diverse workforce including bargaining unit environment; ability to embrace diversity as a strategic advantage;
- Proven experience in leading successful licensure, accreditation, and compliance efforts in a healthcare setting including Joint Commission standards;
- Skilled in exercising a high degree of initiative, judgement, discretion and decision making to achieve objectives;
- Critical thinking skills, using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems;
- Record of managing a team of professional staff, senior level managers; Ability to lead, inspire and empower demonstrating confidence and executive presence; and
- Thoroughness, independence and excellent written and oral communication skills.
For more information and to apply, click here