Organization: Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Brief Summary of Position:
The mission of the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) is to prevent illness, injury, and premature death, to assure access to high quality public health and health care services, and to promote wellness and health equity for all people in the Commonwealth.
As part of a team, the Epidemiologist will ensure accuracy and completeness of healthcare-associated infections data reported through the National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) through data validation.
- Perform external audits of NHSN data consisting of medical record review, data abstraction, and thorough application of NHSN surveillance definitions using a Validation Toolkit developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Conduct epidemiological surveillance and investigations of reportable diseases including healthcare-associated infections in order to identify risk factors and to limit and prevent such morbidity.
- Serve as an educational resource for professional and public groups regarding laws and regulations regarding communicable disease epidemiology.
- Develop policies and activities dealing with communicable disease control.
- Help formulate disease prevention policies with intra – departmental working groups.
- Prepare and deliver educational materials and lectures to professional and public groups in order to maintain awareness and understanding of the epidemiology and control of infectious diseases including but not limited to healthcare-associated infections.
- May be required to respond to infectious disease emergencies on a 24 hours/7 days per week basis by determining appropriate control methods in order to alleviate the crisis.
- Perform other duties as required.