Title: Director, Health and Wellness
Organization: The Boston Foundation
Brief Summary of Position: Drive development, implementation and evaluation of the Foundation’s health & wellness strategy area which strives to lower rates of overweight and obesity in Boston and Massachusetts, as well as correct the imbalance between health care spending and investments in health by reducing health
- Lead and oversee the development, implementation and evaluation of strategies and investments in the Foundation’s Health & Wellness program area with a goal to:
o Health and Social Environments – Incorporate health into decision-making across sectors and policy areas. Support systemic initiatives that take health beyond the confines of hospitals to reduce disparities and lower costs.
o Youth Physical Activity – Ensure daily, required, quality physical activity for all public school students in Greater Boston by funding school-based programs, expanding partnerships, and commissioning research on program effectiveness
o Early Childhood – Improve prenatal/neonatal care practices to reduce obesity during early childhood. Invest in research-based interventions that bring together practitioners with federal and community health programs.
- Co-manage the Heath Starts at Home initiative that explores the intersection of health and housing stabilization
- Execute all functions pertaining to the role of strategy leader, including strategy development, grant making, evaluation & assessment, board reporting and initiative management;
- Forge partnerships and collaborations to generate, oversee and leverage investment opportunities for the Foundation’s grant making and community change efforts
- Utilize research, knowledge and stakeholder relationships to improve health outcomes, influence systems change, and advance relevant public policies.
- Utilize strategic written and oral communications to advance the Foundation’s goals, participate in and present at local and national forums, and convenings of key stakeholders.
- Participate in grant proposal review and recommendation process in collaboration with Foundation colleagues;
- Supervises other staff and consultants associated with the Initiatives and grantmaking; and
- Comply with administrative requirements of the Foundation and participate in other TBF activities as needed;
- College degree with 10-12 years of relevant work experience required; Master’s degree preferred
- Deep knowledge of health and wellness issues, familiarity with players in the field and a thorough understanding of issues affecting low-income urban residents;
- Strong interest and expertise in the social determinants of health, including the intersection of health and housing
- Skills include strategy development and implementation, financial analyses and budgeting, and impact assessment/evaluation. Grantmaking and public policy experience is a plus;
- Exceptional interpersonal, writing and verbal communication skills, with the ability to interact well with a diverse range of people in order to serve as an external voice for the work of the Boston Foundation;
- Demonstrated leadership and proven ability to lead a complex, cross-sector, multi-dimensional, results-oriented agenda;
- Excellent analytical skills and strong problem-solving skills to think critically about health and wellness areas of intersection;
- Demonstrated success managing teams, including the supervision and evaluation of staff and consultants;
- Proven ability to manage multiple priorities and deadlines in a demanding environment.
- Understanding of and commitment to the Foundation’s mission;
- A participative work style and the ability to give and receive feedback;
- Resourceful, a self-starter and able to work independently.
To Apply: TBF Director Health and Wellness