Title: Health Communication Manager
Brief Summary of Position:
CommunicateHealth is a mission-based consulting company that helps public and private sector organizations simplify health information by designing healthcare services, personal health tools, public health and emergency communications, and innovative interactive media. CommunicateHealth employs a talented team of plain language writers, designers, developers, researchers, and usability specialists dedicated to creating health information and services that are attractive and easy to use. CommunicateHealth is committed to making a difference in the world and in the lives of its employees.
CommunicateHealth is looking for an experienced health communicator with a proven interest in message and product development who is able to synthesize audience research, health education and behavior change theories, and plain language writing to create meaningful, accessible, and actionable communication tools for clients and consumers. A good candidate enjoys working independently and collaboratively, has experience giving and receiving feedback and has outstanding organization skills and attention to detail.
This is for a full-time salaried position located in either the Northampton, MA or the Rockville, MD office.
- Leads the development of a communication product with a multi-disciplinary team and ensure products are delivered on time and in budget
- Keeps project teams and clients focused by advocating for end users and their goals
- Develops product requirements and specifications and adjust as necessary based on client feedback and user research findings and recommendations
- Develops research protocols including screeners and moderator’s guides
- Conducts formative research with consumers and professionals
- Leads and integrates user research studies into message and product development
- Works with research staff to communicate findings and recommendations to internal team (writers, designers, and developers)
- Writes clear, concise reports (from top-level summaries to detailed technical reports) for delivery to clients
- Researches a variety of health- and wellness-related topics and distill the most relevant actions and recommendations
- Gathers and reviews feedback on content from editors, usability professionals, and subject matter experts, and revise content appropriately
- Works with design, content, and usability staff on information architecture, content strategy, and content layout
- Oversees and informs post-production quality control (QC) processes
- Acts as a connector across project teams, to integrate project-level lessons learned across the organization
- Masters degree in communication, public health, or other related social science
- Minimum 3 years professional public health education, health communication, and/or communication research experience
- Demonstrated effectiveness in a project management role, with an ability to establish and document processes
- Experience implementing health education theories and principles and usercentered design methods when developing content or tools for the web and print
- Experience in conducting user or audience research
- Experience providing high level editing and writing with limited supervision
- Experience developing materials for audiences with limited (health) literacy skills
- Experience managing project or program budgets
- Familiar with federal plain language guidelines and best practices
- Experience working with graphic designers and web developers
- Supervisory experience
- Experience translating technical/medical information into plain language
- Familiar with IRB, Office of Management and Budget Paperwork Reduction Act, and nuances of research clearance processes
To Apply: Please send cover letter, resume, 2 writing or portfolio samples, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 20, 2016.
As federal contractors, CommunicateHealth is required to ask applicants to submit a voluntary Demographics form, at www.communicatehealth.com/company/contact/. No personnel selections are made based on this information.