Title: Director of Community Initiatives
Organization: Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Brief Summary of Position:
The Director of Community Initiatives will oversee the activities of the Division of Prevention and Wellness that support local policy, systems and environmental change strategies to prevent and reduce chronic disease and associated risk factors and create healthier communities. Guidance and support will include Mass in Motion Municipal Wellness and Leadership as well as additional healthier community initiatives taking place within the Commonwealth to support healthy people in healthy places.
As the Director of Community Initiatives within the Division of Prevention and Wellness, this position supervises 4 community liaisons and 1 program coordinator. The Manager of Community Initiatives sets the overall direction and scope of work for this group of staff.
The Director of Community Initiatives will monitor contracts issued through the Mass in Motion Municipal Wellness and Leadership grant initiatives. The manger will coordinate training and technical assistance for the communities engaged in these grant initiatives as well as additional communities across the Commonwealth working on local policy, systems and environmental change strategies to prevent and reduce chronic disease and associated risk factors as well as create healthier communities.
In addition, the Director of Community Initiatives is responsible for tracking activities and compiling comprehensive reports for the private, state and federal funders of the community initiatives. This will include documenting the capacity building and policy work being conducted in local communities designed to create healthier communities and ultimately reduce the amount of chronic disease in Massachusetts.
- Plans and implements for community-level policy and program initiatives
- Provides overall guidance and sets work flow to up to 4 Division of Prevention and Wellness community liaisons.
- Coordinates training and professional development for community liaisons to support their work within communities.
- Strengthens staff, partnership and community capacity to support policy, systems and environmental change strategies to support/promote healthy communities and reduce chronic disease and associated risk factors.
- Assists in the development and implementation of appropriate objectives, strategies, tactics and interventions for statewide plans to address chronic disease.
- Provides direction for community initiatives and communicates impacts and successes to department leadership and decision makers
- Works with state, local and regional partners to integrate land use, transportation and public health to address the health implications of the built environment and to achieve positive health outcomes through community design
- Oversees division contracts with vendors on Master Agreement for statewide or regional trade associations or membership organizations to build capacity within municipalities to implement policy, systems and environmental change to promote healthier communities
- Coordinates, presents and participates in statewide and local meetings on relevant topics related to chronic disease prevention and control
- Manages Mass in Motion Municipal Wellness Leadership grants.
- Oversees community-based contracts including setting overall direction and scope.
- Coordinates training and technical assistance for community-based contracts to support their work.
- Assigns and guides community liaisons to provide ongoing technical assistance to each community contract.
- Ensures all funded communities are meeting scope of service and submitting required paperwork on time
- Completes mid-year and end of year reports of activities and accomplishments of communities involved with Municipal Wellness Leadership.
- Provides leadership in completing applications for funding for community initiatives.
- Oversees data collection on and generating reports about networks, coalitions, agencies, organizations, experts, community leaders and at-risk population groups.
- Supervises staff; complete annual EPRS in collaboration with staff and provides ongoing feedback in regular meetings.
- Works collaboratively with other staff and initiatives within the Division of Prevention Wellness.
- Works collaboratively with other Bureaus and Divisions within MDPH.
- Assists in grant writing opportunities for the Division of Prevention and Wellness.
- At least three years of management experience in public or non-profit sector
- Master’s degree in Public Health, Public Policy, Education or related field
- Prior experience analyzing and responding to state and local policy issues
- Knowledge and skills to interact with public and private funders, elected officials, local public health officials and the media around wellness policy issues
- Experience with managing staff and delivering training programs.
To Apply: To see more information and to apply, click here .