Title: Community Health Worker
Organization: Beacon Health Options (Beacon) Massachusetts Behavioral Partnership
Brief Summary of Position: Beacon Health Options (Beacon)/Massachusetts Behavioral Health Partnership is seeking to hire full time Community Health Workers (CHWs) for the Hospital to Housing initiative, an exciting new collaboration between Beacon/MBHP and the Massachusetts Housing and Shelter Alliance (MHSA). CHWs will play a pivotal role in this new and unique program. They will identify homeless Beacon/MBHP Members who are eligible for participation, assist them with accessing permanent housing, behavioral health care, and primary care, and provide peer support in an effort to reduce hospitalizations and improve health outcomes. They will also support formerly homeless individuals who have already been housed in accessing health care and other resources. *Positions will be located in: Boston, Lowell and Pittsfield.
- Uses data extracts to identify homeless individuals who are frequently hospitalized for behavioral health reasons
- Conducts in-person and telephonic outreach to homeless and formerly homeless individuals
- Works with homeless individuals to find the permanent supportive housing placement this is best suited to individual needs.
- Assists with housing search, application process and placement among other tasks
- Provides peer support to individuals struggling with behavioral health issues and homelessness
- Utilizes motivational interviewing and harm reduction techniques with homeless and formerly homeless individuals
- Assists homeless and formerly homeless individuals with accessing primary care, mental health care, and substance use disorder treatment and navigating health care and other systems
- Assists homeless and formerly homeless individuals with applying for benefits (e.g., SSI, SSDI, SNA) and working towards income maximization.
- Performs MassHealth eligibility status checks and troubleshoot eligibility of Members
- Collects and enters data into multiple client tracking systems with accuracy and efficiency
- Follows proper data collection procedures to ensure all data is communicated to MHSA and Beacon in a timely manner
- Acts as liaison between housing providers and Beacon Health Options, becomes a part of the team that work with both housing providers and Beacon Health Options Staff
- Participates in all departmental, team and group/individual supervision meetings as assigned by supervisor
- Must be able to travel to locations to perform job duties such as provider/facility site, community resource site, other regional offices and member visits
- Adheres to all HIPAA compliance regulations
- This position is not authorized to transport Members in personal vehicles
- Bachelor’s degree; Associate’s degree. And/or 1 – 3 years’ relevant work experience as a community health worker
- 1 – 3 years’ work experience in similar field (mental health and/or substance use preferred)
- Experience as a community health worker, peer specialist, peer advocate, or in a similar role preferred
- Firsthand or secondhand experience dealing with behavioral health issues, navigating the behavioral health care system, and/or navigating the homeless system in Massachusetts.
- Must have experience developing relationships with individuals with serious mental illness and a demonstrated ability to connect with and support this population
- Demonstrated respect for Members with mental health, substance use, chronic diseases and their diverse lifestyles and choices.
- Experience working with Massachusetts Medicaid population
- High level of computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Office, Outlook, and Database entry
- English (verbal and written) fluency required. Spanish and other bilingual applicants strongly encouraged to apply
- Ability to manage multiple priorities concurrently
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills both oral and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with homeless individuals, family members, treatment providers, and homeless provider staff
- Team player that can function in a wide variety of environments including a wide variety of staff ranging from homeless shelters to managed care entity teams
- Valid driver’s license required
To Apply: Submit cover letter and resume here.