The Community Health Workers (CHW) Section of the American Public Health Association (APHA) is offering five $800 scholarships for community health workers to attend the 2016 Annual Meeting of the American Public Health Association in Denver, Colorado from Oct. 29-Nov. 2, 2016. To learn more about this year’s meeting, click here.
This scholarship honors the important work of grass-roots advocates who promote health in their communities. Scholarship awardees from out of town will receive funding to help pay for transportation, room and board, meals, and registration fees. Scholarships will be paid on a reimbursable basis after the Annual Meeting in November and all written reports are received.
Qualifications for the scholarship include:
- To be at least 18 years of age.
- A letter of reference on letterhead from the supervisor of a corresponding community health worker program. (for both paid and volunteer positions)
- A written report after the Annual Meeting to be shared with the Harold and Grace Sewell Trust Fund and the scholarship committee. The report should highlight the knowledge gained from the APHA Annual Meeting and be at least one page in length.
- Attendance in both the CHW Section Social Reception, Monday, October 31st from 6:30-8:00pm and the CHW Section Business Meeting, Tuesday, November 1st from 6:30-8:00pm (sign-in sheets will be available at these events verifying attendance)
- Registration for APHA with the CHW Section as the primary affiliation
For more information and the application form, click here. The completed application and letter of reference must be received by Friday, July 08, 2016. A review committee will score all applications; notification regarding the outcome will be sent by August 5, 2016.