Title: Director of Development
Organization: Boston Harbor Now
Brief Summary of Position: Boston Harbor Now is a newly created civic organization focused on integrating Boston Harbor, its waterfront, and its islands into the fabric of Boston and its region and enhancing the public benefits and access. Boston Harbor Now is navigating the future of the harbor with a bold vision of more open space and recreational, cultural, and social opportunities accessible to all Boston’s residents and visitors; an expanded and integrated water transportation system; and mixed-use development that is a model for climate resilient economic development and planning. Working in collaboration with public and private partners, Boston Harbor Now stewards greater Boston’s next great public space.
Boston Harbor Now is seeking a full-time Director of Development as a member of the Senior Management Team to help raise the profile and the funds to fulfill the vision of stewarding Boston’s next great social, economic, and cultural public space: Boston Harbor, its waterfront, and islands.
- Leads, manages and implements all aspects of development work, including membership, annual giving, major gifts, events, special projects, capital campaigns, corporate sponsorship, and grants
- Reports to the CEO/President and works with the Board Development Committee to prepare and implement a multi-year development plan designed to: help Boston Harbor Now meet its organizational plans for growth, continue to develop and program the Boston Harbor Islands State and National Park, enhance and expand its existing programs, and become a leading voice in waterfront planning and advocacy
- Develops and implements strategies to grow existing donors and identify, cultivate, and steward new funding sources
- Implements workable, practical, and sustainable systems that enhance productivity in the development department
Develops and manages annual giving, grant writing, capital campaigns and all other fundraising events and activities
- Creates and manages the development budget
- Responsible for revenue and expenditures
- Envisions, develops, and implements membership and major giving programs and a planned giving program.
- Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of seven years of proven and direct experience in not-for-profit development
- Appreciation and emotional connection to the mission
- Experience with membership and major gifts programs, annual giving, corporate sponsorships, direct mail and on line giving; capital campaigns, planned giving, corporate social responsibility and earned revenue experience a plus
- Thorough knowledge and experience with fundraising best practices
- Demonstrated experience setting up the necessary systems to support development
- Experience in developing and executing strategic fundraising plans
- Strong relationship building skills and capable of interacting with Trustees, donors, and support staff
- Proven expertise in working effectively and collaboratively with a diverse range of constituents
- Experience supervising staff and working as part of management team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Event planning experience
- Proven expertise in Salesforce and standard office software.
To Apply: Send cover letter and resume to Mary Key Leonard at firstname.lastname@example.org