Title: Development Director
Brief Summary of Position:
Playworks is the leading national nonprofit leveraging the power of play to transform children’s physical and emotional health. Playworks currently serves more than 900 schools in 23 U.S. cities, and reaches almost half of a million students directly and through professional training services.
Entering its tenth year of operations in the greater Boston Region, Playworks Massachusetts has seen significant programmatic and fundraising growth. Playworks Massachusetts serves 50 elementary schools and 25,000 children across the state. Moreover, Playworks Massachusetts was recognized as a Social Innovator by Root Cause’s Social Innovation Forum and the organization currently partners with major regional partners such as the Boston Foundation, Fidelity Investments and New Balance.
Reporting to the regional executive director (ED), the Development Director will have both internal and external facing responsibilities, primarily focused on the design and execution of a comprehensive development strategy. The individual will be primarily focused on new business development (foundation and corporate), as well as individual major donor relations. The Development Director will supervise the development team, supporting each individual’s professional development and team growth. This person will work closely with the executive director and program director to chart Playworks Massachusetts’ future growth and strategic response to an ever-increasing demand for the organization’s programs and services.
The Development Director will be a collaborative and innovative leader, with an understanding of strength-based organizational culture, passionate about Playworks’ mission and committed to education and health reform work. S/he will have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and have confidence in fundraising, engagement and movement-building strategies. This is a unique opportunity for a proactive, flexible and strategic leader with excellent management, planning and implementation skills to join a dynamic, high-functioning organization at a critical and exciting stage in its 10-year local history.
- Together with the executive director and regional development team, designs and executes an annual development strategy to ensure $1.3 – $1.5 million in operating support is generated annually.
- Identifies and cultivates a diverse base of supporters including individuals and corporations working in collaboration with the Executive Director and Board.
- Delivers significant gifts (five- and six-figure) particularly from individual and corporate donors.
- Manages development pipeline with support of regional development staff.
- Provides management and oversight of an innovative corporate sponsorship strategy raising a minimum of $600,000.
- Creates a regional individual major donor strategy and oversees implementation raising a minimum of $300,000.
- Manages relationships with a major donor portfolio.
- Solicits government grants as needed.
- Attends, assists and represents Playworks at various key fundraising events/functions, speaking engagements, tours, and other programs.
- Hosts program visits and seeks new relationships in the philanthropic community.
- Prepares regular reports on development progress against targets and work with Executive Director to ensure revenue and fundraising targets are met.
- Collaborates with the Board of Directors and Executive Director to create a fund development plan that increases revenues to support the strategic direction of the organization.
- Manages development committee and supports board with individual fundraising plans.
- Serves as strategic thinking partner to executive director and program director.
- Directly supervises development team and supports development team functions.
- Provides coaching, strategic guidance and critical feedback to staff, with a practice of mentorship, respecting the skills, strengths, contributions and challenges of individual team members.
- Collaborates with executive director, development team, training team, program team and program coordinators to cultivate, develop and mobilize the Playworks network – stakeholders, volunteers, donors, Fellow, etc.
- Cultivates and stewards the local Playworks brand, ensuring consistent communications across the organization.
- Effectively directs and supervises large projects and organizational initiatives.
- Manages development and communications calendar and leads quarterly and annual planning processes.
- Works with staff to integrate assessment and evaluation into all organizational programs and initiatives.
- Manages the development, communications and events budget and works with a regional executive director to develop monthly reports.
- Oversees local Salesforce implementation and database troubleshooting with staff.
- Works closely with Program Associate to ensure that all operational functions run smoothly.
- Experience leading and managing staff in an innovative, entrepreneurial culture.
- 5-10 years of fundraising and development experience.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, and interpersonal skills, with the ability to build trust within a team, as well as lead group presentations.
- Strong knowledge of effective fundraising strategies including grant seeking, individual donor cultivation, corporate employee volunteer programs and event production.
- Possess excellent organizational and analytical skills and the ability to multi-task and meet aggressive deadlines.
- Proven track record of success in fundraising.
- Tech savvy and familiarity with donor management/engagement systems and online social networks.
- Flexibility to work nights and weekends as needed.
- Must be able to travel regionally.
- Bachelor’s degree required and Master’s degree in Public Relations, Business, Non-Profit Management, Marketing or related field preferred.
To Apply: View full job description and apply here.