Title: Tobacco Treatment Specialist
Organization: Lahey Health
Brief Summary of Position:
Under general supervision of the Health Improvement Program Manager provides culturally appropriate, evidence-based tobacco treatment services and education to Lahey Health patients, staff, and community members within the Lahey Health service area. The Tobacco Treatment Specialist (TTS) also works as part of the Tobacco Treatment Program team to support program promotion and recruitment, tracking, evaluation and other activities.
- Schedules, promotes and facilitates multiple-session Freedom from Smoking? programs- to meet both during day and evening hours (min. seven per year) in Woburn, Peabody, Danvers, potentially other Lahey Health System locations. Occasionally groups are held off-site in communities surrounding Lahey Health sites.
- Provides pharmacotherapy education, support and guidance under the supervision of a clinician
- Manages relapse prevention, follow-up, and after care services as needed.
- Communicates with other providers caring for patients enrolled in the Tobacco Treatment Service program
- Provides tobacco treatment education, support and guidance to patients in the above outpatient programs.
- Schedules, promotes and facilitates multiple-session Freedom from Smoking? programs- at off site locations as needed.
- Communicates with other providers caring for patients enrolled in the Lahey Clinic smoking cessation program.
- Collects incoming referrals, maintain supplies and organize department records and files.
- Maintains documentation for all patient interactions.
- Participates in educational activities such as in-services, community health fairs, and orientations.
- Assists with assessing outcome measures of patient satisfaction and abstinence rates.
- Leads in-services and other meetings to disseminate information and materials about counseling services
and pharmacotherapy options to managerial staff and health care providers
- Assists with the orientation of providers and staff to brief intervention models.
- Helps to train new counselors and other staff as required
- Assists in the development of educational and counseling materials
- Assists coordinator/manager with marketing and publicity
- Participates in team meetings
- Travels to various sites throughout the Lahey Health service area for program activities.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree in health related field preferred.
- Tobacco Treatment Specialist certification preferred.
- Will also consider those eligible for certification as Tobacco Treatment Specialist
- Demonstrate completion of the American Lung Association?s Freedom from Smoking? facilitator within 12 months of hire required.
- Eligible for certification as a Massachusetts Tobacco Treatment Specialist within 12 months of hire required.
- Minimum of 3 years of direct patient service experience providing counseling and group facilitation is required
- Experience with smoking cessation and tobacco treatment is highly desirable.
- No current tobacco use or for a minimum of previous six months
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Ability to speak fluent Spanish or Portuguese is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; relates respectfully and empathetically to a diverse patient population including individuals with mental illness and substance abuse conditions, and those from low socioeconomic backgrounds, other staff members, and the general public; communicates effectively to individuals and groups.
- Knowledge of chronic conditions, including heart disease, stroke, diabetes, obesity, smoking, and common mental health and substance abuse disorders. Familiarity with treatment and medication regimens for these conditions.
- Strong desire to enhance patient, community and Lahey Health staff?s knowledge and understanding of tobacco treatment and other tobacco related issues.
- Applicants should have good clinical and patient counseling skills as well as interest and ability to facilitate group programs. Proficiency in word processing and database management skills is necessary. Familiarity with Microsoft Access, Excel and Word preferred. Must demonstrate strong organizational and communication skills and ability to work independently but also be able to work well as part of a team.
- Medical terminology; word processing. Proficient in standard office procedures and operation of business machines, (pc, fax, telephone, Dictaphone, others as appropriate). Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills; organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Demonstrate flexibility and a desire to work autonomously.