Title: Vice President for Programs
Organization: Health Foundation of Central Massachusetts
Brief Summary of Position: The Vice President for Programs reports to the President/CEO and is responsible for assisting in the development and implementation of the Board-determined strategic grantmaking agenda for the Foundation: providing technical assistance to applicants and grantees, reviewing grant applications and managing the award process, monitoring grants, overseeing the grant information system, and assisting in evaluating the Foundation’s impact.
- Assists in the development and implementation of the Foundation’s strategic grantmaking agenda, as set by the Board, including managing the grant portfolio and budgets; facilitates the application process and implements policies and procedures to manage the grantmaking review and award processes; monitors the grant evaluation process; and assists in assessing the Foundation’s impact.
- Advises potential applicants about the Foundation’s grantmaking guidelines and their proposal development, and reviews all grant proposals. In consultation with the President/CEO, determines if applications meet Foundation guidelines and funding avenues. For applications deemed appropriate, conducts a thorough analysis of the proposals and prepares written proposal summaries and recommendations for action by the Board, and then prepares documentation of the Board’s action.
- Provides oversight of the Grant Manager, who provides direct support for the Vice President for Programs and who also serves as the administrator for maintaining the software system tracking the Foundation’s consideration of proposals and grant awards, including entry of applicant data, tracking proposals from receipt to final disposition, scheduling payments, securing timely grant monitoring reports, and extracting information from the data base to produce standard and ad hoc reports.
- Prepares grant program announcements, grant award and declination notifications, including the preparation of correspondence, newsletters, contracts, media releases, and website information.
- Represents the Foundation on the grant management team for Synergy Initiative projects, and on a targeted basis, advises and supports those grantees’ advocacy and lobbying efforts. Helps to identify qualified evaluators for these projects and arranges Foundation-sponsored technical assistance for grantees to foster the most effective use of Foundation resources and the achievement of grantee goals.
- Provides lead staff support for the Board’s Distribution Committee and Community Outreach Committee.
- Maintains broad up-to-date knowledge of health status issues. Keeps abreast of new concepts, resources, and “best practices” in health care, health promotion and philanthropy.
- Develops and maintains a knowledge of the nonprofit and philanthropic sectors, especially in Central Massachusetts. Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with Foundation stakeholders.
- Experience in grant seeking or grantmaking required
- Experience in advocating or lobbying for public policy changes
- Enjoyment of and proven skill in writing, interviewing, and oral communication
- Strong analytic skills and creativity in problem solving, and a deep commitment to supporting nonprofits to improve the health of vulnerable populations in Central Massachusetts
- Ease in utilizing information technology
- Ability to work closely and collaboratively with the President/CEO and other Foundation staff and interns, and also to work independently and as a self-starter in setting priorities and accomplishing tasks
- An advanced degree and management experience are required
To Apply: View full job description and apply, here.