April is the month for you to take action on the Fair Share Constitutional Amendment (FSCA), a proposal before the Massachusetts legislature that would dedicate upwards of $1.5 billion annually to improve two social determinants of health: transportation and public education.
MPHA is part of Raise Up Massachusetts, a statewide coalition working to pass the Fair Share Amendment, which would increase the state income tax of the wealthiest individuals in MA by four percentage points. Only income over $1 million would be taxed at the slightly higher rate so this change would affect less than half of 1% of MA’s 6.8 million residents -while creating new revenue to be used only on transportation and education.
Here’s how you can help:
- Call or email your state Senator* and Representative and ask them each “to vote in favor of the Fair Share Constitutional Amendment” at a Constitutional Convention, which will likely be in early May 2016.
- Attend one of these community briefings to share your support for the Fair Share Amendment. Here’s the link to RSVP
- Sat 4/2/2016 – 10:00am – Rock of Salvation Church, 829 Main St, Worcester, MA
- Tue 4/5/2016 – 6:00pm – SEIU Local 615, 26 West Street, Boston, MA
- Wed 4/6/2016 – 6:30pm – Malden Government Center, 200 Pleasant St, Malden, MA
- Sat 5/7/2016 – 10:00am – location TBD, Lexington, MA
- Let us know what action you took!
Questions or suggestions? Contact MPHA’s Field Director, Andrea Freeman (857-263-7072 x103).
* Note: If Sen. Stan Rosenberg is your senator, please know that he is not able to vote on this since he is the Senate President. We do know that he is in favor of the Fair Share Amendment, which ensures that he will bring to the floor for a vote. Please thank him for his support!