Title: Training Associate
Organization: Health Resources in Action
Brief Summary of Position: Health Resources in Action, Inc. (HRiA), a nonprofit public health and medical research funding organization based in Boston, Massachusetts, has a mission to help people live healthier lives and build healthier communities through prevention, health promotion, policy, and research. Seventy percent (70%) of the Training Associate’s responsibilities fall within The 84 Movement, a statewide youth leadership and tobacco prevention movement in Massachusetts. As the lead trainer for The 84, this role involves creating and administering approximately twenty trainings per year to The 84’s Chapters across the state as well as at the two major statewide events, Youth Power Summit and Kick Butts Day. The other thirty percent (30%) of the Training Associate’s role is to manage the FDA Tobacco Compliance Check Project. The Tobacco Compliance Check Project recruits and onboards youth across the state to conduct checks ensuring that retailers do not sell tobacco to minors.
The FDA Tobacco Compliance Check Project:
- Recruit training participants.
- Communicate with clients and community partners, report on project milestones, and monitor budget and expenses.
- Supervise the administrative coordinator’s work (paperwork processing, database maintenance, etc.) on this project.
The 84 Movement:
- Provide statewide training, facilitation and technical assistance to individuals, youth programs, agencies and government entities in youth leadership, tobacco prevention and community change projects
- Oversee the recruitment of new 84 Chapters by partnering with community organizations and schools
- Manage copywriting for website and for other printed materials
- Oversee and maintain social media interaction as a tool to engage young people
- Attend client meetings with the Department of Public Health when necessary
- Develop all content related to any 84 Movement training request
- Edit documents of The 84 and provide feedback to the team on relevant events, projects, or issues
- Support training development, event planning and new business development
- When applicable, supervise high school, college and graduate student interns
- A Bachelor’s degree in education, communication, policy, public health or a related field.
- A strong passion for tobacco control work with youth people.
- 1-3 years of professional experience or a commensurate combination of education and experience. Additional experience a plus.
- Demonstrated successful experience in working with diverse populations are required for this position.
- Experience in social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Experience in training and/or facilitating groups.
- Candidates must possess well-developed written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in database management.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and coordinate multiple projects simultaneously and take personal initiative.
- Expertise in youth development and cultural competence, a plus
- Ability to be creative and engaging.
- Strong presence when presenting to a group and refined leadership and facilitation skills.
- Excellent attention to detail, especially with editing.
- Microsoft Office skills.
- Leadership capabilities and demonstrated successful experience in working with diverse populations are required for this position.
- A valid driver’s license and willingness to drive since travel throughout the Massachusetts is a necessary function of this position.
- A sense of humor.