Title: Chief Executive Officer
Organization: Horizons for Homeless Children
Brief Summary of Position:
Horizons for Homeless Children’s (Horizons) mission is to improve the lives of young homeless children and help their families succeed by providing high-quality education, opportunities for play, and comprehensive family engagement programs. Recognized as a national leader in the education of homeless children, Horizons also advocates on behalf of young children, trains educators and human service providers, and provides research on the impact of early education on homeless children.
The CEO has overall strategic, fiscal and operational responsibility for Horizons’ Centers, Programs and operational teams dedicated to meeting its core mission. S/he is responsible for creating, planning, and implementing the strategic direction of Horizons in partnership with the Board of Directors.
- Gain an appreciation of the history and culture of Horizons and an understanding of key objectives by meeting with staff, volunteers, Board members and community advocates.
- Provide strategic direction and consistent leadership to inspire the team, Board and volunteers to channel their talents and enthusiasm into program success; develop a culture of collaboration and accountability.
- Establish vehicles for regular communications, interaction and collaboration with the Board, executive team and staff at Horizons in order to encourage a strong and transparent working relationship between parties.
- Develop and implement evaluation programs to measure impact and report results, specifically measure the effectiveness of the Center and Playspace Programs; prioritize the measurement of School/Kindergarten Readiness; collaborate with partners to support Horizons’ Family Engagement Program.
- Serve as advocate and spokesperson for the organization.
- Create and actively promote a culture of continuous improvement, mutual respect, transparency and communication to realize shared accomplishments and mutually agreed upon goals and objectives; encourage innovation and new ideas.
- Manage, motivate and mentor team by highlighting best practices in accountability, priority setting, diversity, inclusiveness and delegation—empower team to maximize their performance.
- Determine and implement the appropriate staffing and infrastructure to support current operations and future growth.
- Contribute to the design of a formal review process for senior leadership team, including the CEO.
- Strengthen internal communications across all program sites; bridge gaps that exist to encourage inter-departmental learning and appreciation.
- Determine and execute long term building/lease/location strategy, and its associated implications in coordination with the Board.
- Develop financial procedures that ensure economic clarity and accountability in the financial strategy and management of the organization. In collaboration with the CFO, prepare and manage annual budgets and produce accurate, timely and comprehensive financial reports for the Board.
- Manage Horizons’ operations (Human Resources, Finance, Operations, Information Technology), implement new policies and controls as needed, and ensure procedures are followed.
- Develop short-term and long-term policy and advocacy strategies ensuring that the well-being of children and families are at the forefront of the broader public dialogue about homelessness.
- In partnership with the Chief Development Officer, optimize revenue and fundraising opportunities; develop and execute a comprehensive development/fundraising plan (including the development of a strategy for a capital campaign) that supports Horizons’ strategic direction and continues to diversify revenue streams and to leverage public and private funds.
- Institutionalize development activities.
- Proven leader with a strong track record of successfully leading and managing complex organizations with a diverse work force.
- Will have successfully orchestrated the design and development of organizational structures and professional development programs that unify an organization and support team efforts to achieve superior results.
- Inspirational; can create a positive empowering culture balancing collaboration and decisiveness.
- Eager to assume the role of chief fundraiser for the organization; enjoys engaging with the communities that are served, as well as the corporations, foundations, and major donors who support Horizons’ work.
- Track record of analyzing operational performance in order to set clear priorities, delegate and guide investment in people, program and systems.
- Capable of managing expectations of internal team, the Board, business partners, and other constituents to ensure alignment with strategic goals.
- Demonstrated strength in the oversight of human resources, finance and other critical areas in support of service delivery.
- Appreciate the mission of providing support in the areas of homelessness and/or early education; while experience in either or both arenas is preferable , it is not a requirement; passion for, and demonstrated commitment to, improving the life opportunities of disadvantaged people; sensitivity to the needs of diverse racial and ethnic populations.
- Confident decision-maker; self-starter with high energy/drive and a positive attitude. Focused on results. Role model who demonstrates respectful behavior who can create an environment in which individuals feel valued and empowered.
- B.A. a minimum, ideally with an advanced degree.